assuming you have read the docs already, I would start simple and learn about the tool and its possibilities. There’s also more infos and webinars linked here: Director 101
How I am usually starting with a fresh Director setup:
- Create a host template and add a check_command
- Create a service template, e.g.
- Navigate into the CheckCommand sections and define a data field for
ping imported from the ITL
- Add your own custom data field
server_type as String
- Create a host object and enable the data field
server_type, import the pre-defined host template and set
- Create a service, import from the template, name it
ping4 and set
ping4 as check_command. Add the previously defined data field as selectable field and add a certain value to it (a threshold).
- Assign the service based on the
server_type equal to
Once that works, inspect how config rendering and deployments work. Play around with more data fields, and get to know further capabilities with service sets for example. Define a basic template structure where your hosts and service can be inherited from, and data lists and fields prepared for later usage.
Peek into automation and import sources from external data before going to production.
Once you’ve mastered the simple monitoring tasks, add agents and distributed setups with zones and endpoints to play.