Windows 10 Monitoring

Hi,
I am testing how to monitor using the Windows Icinga Agent. I have followed the instructions on the tutorial until the paragraph

Now that you’ve successfully installed a Windows client, please proceed to the detailed configuration modes.

Which I cannot understand. Does it mean that after installing the agent you still need to configure something else? I have not seen any changes on my dashboard after insatlling the agent, could someone tell me an easy way to complete the configuration on a windows host so that icinga starts monitoring?

Thanks!

Yep, you need to configure hosts and services for this agent, and a transport method for checks, e.g. via command endpoint mode.

So, let’s say I want to check just the basics from the host where the agent is installed. Where do I configure that on the conf files that the agent has installed ?
When you say a transport method for checks , is that something that is configured on while installing the agent or is it something that has to be configured afterwards as well.

This is getting complicated…

Hi,

Icinga needs to know about all monitored objects, that is why you need to configure them.

Here’s a concrete example for command endpoints in general: https://icinga.com/docs/icinga2/latest/doc/06-distributed-monitoring/#top-down-command-endpoint

In Windows specific regions, this is more focussed on e.g. using the provided plugins: https://icinga.com/docs/icinga2/latest/doc/06-distributed-monitoring/#windows-client-and-plugins

Cheers,
Michael

@franpola
Maybe Icinga is not the right tool for you if you want it simple and only the basics. Try Check-MK instead.
Check-MK has also an Windows-Monitoring Agent and a (simple) Autodetection of available Services.

You don’t need to configure as much as for Icinga.

Reaching the first success is why I’ve suggested the manual configuration. If you don’t want to configure that much, I’d suggest to use the Icinga Director and hide specific parts e.g. on agent zones and such.

https://icinga.com/docs/director/latest/

A demo is available online.

Cheers,
Michael

1 Like

expected behavior
The Windows Server should complete the icinga windows agent setup wihtout error (Certificate issue i guess)

I am following this guideMonitoring Lab

@starflighter is not my decision, our client already has icinga and i am just trying to learn how to remove and add some hosts to their existing setup. I have already invested 2 months trying to learn Icinga. I will probably start reading the documentation in German, maybe that way i will get what this is all about…

icinga2 --version
icinga2 - The Icinga 2 network monitoring daemon (version: r2.4.1-1)

Copyright © 2012-2015 Icinga Development Team (https://www.icinga.org)
License GPLv2+: GNU GPL version 2 or later http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl2.html
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

Application information:
Installation root: /usr
Sysconf directory: /etc
Run directory: /run
Local state directory: /var
Package data directory: /usr/share/icinga2
State path: /var/lib/icinga2/icinga2.state
Modified attributes path: /var/lib/icinga2/modified-attributes.conf
Objects path: /var/cache/icinga2/icinga2.debug
Vars path: /var/cache/icinga2/icinga2.vars
PID path: /run/icinga2/icinga2.pid

System information:
Platform: _CODENAME=xenia
Platform version: CODENAME=xenia
Kernel: Linux
Kernel version: 4.4.0-142-generic
Architecture: x86_64

Features

Disabled features: gelf icingastatus opentsdb statusdata syslog
Enabled features: api checker command compatlog debuglog graphite ido-mysql livestatus mainlog notification perfdata

icinga2 daemon -C
information/cli: Icinga application loader (version: r2.4.1-1)
information/ConfigCompiler: Compiling config file: /etc/icinga2/icinga2.conf
information/ConfigCompiler: Compiling config file: /etc/icinga2/constants.conf
information/ConfigCompiler: Compiling config file: /etc/icinga2/zones.conf
information/ConfigCompiler: Compiling config file: /usr/share/icinga2/include/itl
information/ConfigCompiler: Compiling config file: /usr/share/icinga2/include/command.conf
information/Utility: Loading library ‘libmethods.so’
information/ConfigCompiler: Compiling config file: /usr/share/icinga2/include/command-icinga.conf
information/ConfigCompiler: Compiling config file: /usr/share/icinga2/include/timeperiod.conf
information/ConfigCompiler: Compiling config file: /usr/share/icinga2/include/plugins
information/ConfigCompiler: Compiling config file: /usr/share/icinga2/include/command-plugins.conf
information/ConfigCompiler: Compiling config file: /etc/icinga2/features-enabled/api.conf
information/ConfigCompiler: Compiling config file: /etc/icinga2/features-enabled/checker.conf
information/ConfigCompiler: Compiling config file: /etc/icinga2/features-enabled/command.conf
information/ConfigCompiler: Compiling config file: /etc/icinga2/features-enabled/compatlog.conf
information/ConfigCompiler: Compiling config file: /etc/icinga2/features-enabled/debuglog.conf
information/ConfigCompiler: Compiling config file: /etc/icinga2/features-enabled/graphite.conf
information/ConfigCompiler: Compiling config file: /etc/icinga2/features-enabled/ido-mysql.conf
information/ConfigCompiler: Compiling config file: /etc/icinga2/features-enabled/livestatus.conf
information/ConfigCompiler: Compiling config file: /etc/icinga2/features-enabled/mainlog.conf
information/ConfigCompiler: Compiling config file: /etc/icinga2/features-enabled/notification.conf
information/ConfigCompiler: Compiling config file: /etc/icinga2/features-enabled/perfdata.conf
information/Utility: Loading library ‘libchecker.so’
information/Utility: Loading library ‘libcompat.so’
information/Utility: Loading library ‘libcompat.so’
information/Utility: Loading library ‘libperfdata.so’
information/Utility: Loading library ‘libdb_ido_mysql.so’
information/Utility: Loading library ‘liblivestatus.so’
information/Utility: Loading library ‘libnotification.so’
information/Utility: Loading library ‘libperfdata.so’
information/ConfigCompiler: Compiling config file: /etc/icinga2/conf.d/LanDeskTest.conf
information/ConfigCompiler: Compiling config file: /etc/icinga2/conf.d/api-users.conf
information/ConfigCompiler: Compiling config file: /etc/icinga2/conf.d/app.conf
information/ConfigCompiler: Compiling config file: /etc/icinga2/conf.d/commands.conf
information/ConfigCompiler: Compiling config file: /etc/icinga2/conf.d/downtimes.conf
information/ConfigCompiler: Compiling config file: /etc/icinga2/conf.d/dr_services.conf
information/ConfigCompiler: Compiling config file: /etc/icinga2/conf.d/event-command.conf
information/ConfigCompiler: Compiling config file: /etc/icinga2/conf.d/groups.conf
information/ConfigCompiler: Compiling config file: /etc/icinga2/conf.d/hosts.conf
information/ConfigCompiler: Compiling config file: /etc/icinga2/conf.d/netapp.conf
information/ConfigCompiler: Compiling config file: /etc/icinga2/conf.d/networking.conf
information/ConfigCompiler: Compiling config file: /etc/icinga2/conf.d/notifications.conf
information/ConfigCompiler: Compiling config file: /etc/icinga2/conf.d/printers.conf
information/ConfigCompiler: Compiling config file: /etc/icinga2/conf.d/satellite.conf
information/ConfigCompiler: Compiling config file: /etc/icinga2/conf.d/services.conf
information/ConfigCompiler: Compiling config file: /etc/icinga2/conf.d/services_printers.conf
information/ConfigCompiler: Compiling config file: /etc/icinga2/conf.d/templates.conf
information/ConfigCompiler: Compiling config file: /etc/icinga2/conf.d/timeperiods.conf
information/ConfigCompiler: Compiling config file: /etc/icinga2/conf.d/users.conf
information/ConfigCompiler: Compiling config file: /etc/icinga2/conf.d/vmware.conf
information/ConfigCompiler: Compiling config file: /etc/icinga2/conf.d/vmwks.conf
information/ConfigCompiler: Compiling config file: /etc/icinga2/conf.d/wksfpa.conf
information/ConfigCompiler: Compiling config file: /var/lib/icinga2/api/packages/_api/include.conf
information/ConfigCompiler: Compiling config file: /var/lib/icinga2/api/packages/_api/srvlugequnagios01-1450880986-1/include.conf
information/ConfigCompiler: Compiling config file: /var/lib/icinga2/api/packages/_api/srvlugequnagios01-1450880986-1/…/active.conf
information/ConfigItem: Committing config items
information/ApiListener: My API identity: srvfpamonp02
critical/SSL: Error loading and verifying locations in ca key file ‘/etc/icinga2/pki/ca.crt’: 33558530, “error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or directory”
critical/config: Error: Cannot make SSL context for cert path: ‘/etc/icinga2/pki/srvfpamonp02.crt’ key path: ‘/etc/icinga2/pki/srvfpamonp02.key’ ca path: ‘/etc/icinga2/pki/ca.crt’.
Location: in /etc/icinga2/features-enabled/api.conf: 4:1-4:24
/etc/icinga2/features-enabled/api.conf(2): * The API listener is used for distributed monitoring setups.
/etc/icinga2/features-enabled/api.conf(3): */
/etc/icinga2/features-enabled/api.conf(4): object ApiListener “api” {
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
/etc/icinga2/features-enabled/api.conf(5): cert_path = SysconfDir + “/icinga2/pki/” + NodeName + “.crt”
/etc/icinga2/features-enabled/api.conf(6): key_path = SysconfDir + “/icinga2/pki/” + NodeName + “.key”

critical/config: 1 error

/**

• Icinga 2 configuration file
    • this is where you define settings for the Icinga application including
  • which hosts/services to check.
  • For an overview of all available configuration options please refer
  • to the documentation that is distributed as part of Icinga 2.
    */

/**

• The constants.conf defines global constants.
    */
    include “constants.conf”

/**

• The zones.conf defines zones for a cluster setup.
  • Not required for single instance setups.
    */
    include “zones.conf”

/**

• The Icinga Template Library (ITL) provides a number of useful templates
  • and command definitions.
  • Common monitoring plugin command definitions are included separately.
    */
    include
    include
    // include

/**

• The features-available directory contains a number of configuration
  • files for features which can be enabled and disabled using the
  • icinga2 feature enable / icinga2 feature disable CLI commands.
  • These commands work by creating and removing symbolic links in
  • the features-enabled directory.
    /
    include "features-enabled/
    .conf"

/**

• The repository.d directory contains all configuration objects
  • managed by the ‘icinga2 repository’ CLI commands.
    */
    include_recursive “repository.d”

/**

• Although in theory you could define all your objects in this file
  • the preferred way is to create separate directories and files in the conf.d
  • directory. Each of these files must have the file extension “.conf”.
    */
    include_recursive “conf.d”
    2,1 Top

Uhm, 2.4.1 for Icinga 2 is really old, and so is 2.1.0 for Icinga Web 2. I assume you did configure the wrong package repository and using old upstream packages from Ubuntu Xenial.

You can add it like this:

apt-get -y install apt-transport-https

wget -O - https://packages.icinga.com/icinga.key | apt-key add -
echo 'deb https://packages.icinga.com/ubuntu icinga-xenial main' >/etc/apt/sources.list.d/icinga.list
apt-get update

Then create a backup of your current configuration, purge the old icinga2 package and install it new from the official repository.

Cheers,
Michael

Well, this is our client’s machine, not ours, it’s an old installation that’s why the versions are old. The want to update the running config, the checks and everything else hosts, services… since their network setup has changed a lot in the last months.

I am thinking it would be even better to make a fresh new Linux and icinga2 install and configuration than trying to update entirely the existing one.

What is your thinking ?

It is probably the easier way, since there were also changes with certificate handling in 2.8 resulting in a minimum of that version as well. The configuration should be compatible being again put in place. You might want to test-drive that in a local VM beforehand.

Cheers,
Michael