VMWare vSphere Daemon

Hello Community

I hope you can help me with the problem I’m facing right now. My vSphere module was working fine for a while and now without anything happening I get an error.

Task eventStream failed: Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password

and it shows on the top

Daemon keep-alive is outdated, last refresh was am Aug 10 12:08

I was checking a lot of Forums but couldn’t find any solution so far.

Hi,

check the status of the daemon, mostly I could be that the daemon is stuck on optimizing the table daemon_log.

systemctl status icinga-vspheredb - does it show something like “optimize daemon_log”?

Thank you for your reply.
I have two different icinga instances.
The first one is the one with the problem explained above and the command shows following response:

even if I start vspheredb after changing to starting it shows the same like this after a while:

root@icinga2:~>>systemctl status icinga-vspheredb
● icinga-vspheredb.service - Icinga vSphereDB Daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/icinga-vspheredb.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: signal) since Wed 2020-08-19 08:27:54 CEST; 16s ago
     Docs: https://icinga.com/docs/icinga-vsphere/latest/
  Process: 8420 ExecStart=/usr/bin/icingacli vspheredb daemon run (code=killed, signal=ABRT)
 Main PID: 8420 (code=killed, signal=ABRT)

Aug 19 08:27:54 icinga2 systemd[1]: icinga-vspheredb.service watchdog timeout (limit 10s)!
Aug 19 08:27:54 icinga2 systemd[1]: icinga-vspheredb.service: main process exited, code=killed, status=6/ABRT
Aug 19 08:27:54 icinga2 systemd[1]: Unit icinga-vspheredb.service entered failed state.
Aug 19 08:27:54 icinga2 systemd[1]: icinga-vspheredb.service failed.

the second icinga instance shows this here is just the problem of :

17:02:57: Task eventStream failed: Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password.

root@icinga-qa:~>>systemctl status icinga-vspheredb
● icinga-vspheredb.service - Icinga vSphereDB Daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/icinga-vspheredb.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: active (running) since Tue 2020-08-18 15:44:41 CEST; 16h ago
     Docs: https://icinga.com/docs/vsphere/latest/
 Main PID: 1865 (icingacli)
   CGroup: /system.slice/icinga-vspheredb.service
           ├─1865 Icinga::vSphereDB::main: 1 active runner
           └─3211 Icinga::vSphereDB::sync (<address of the vcenter>: Event Stream)

Aug 19 07:59:19 icinga-qa icingacli[1865]: Task eventStream failed: Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password.
Aug 19 08:00:44 icinga-qa icingacli[1865]: Task eventStream failed: Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password.
Aug 19 08:01:57 icinga-qa icingacli[1865]: Task eventStream failed: Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password.
Aug 19 08:02:48 icinga-qa icingacli[1865]: Task eventStream failed: Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password.
Aug 19 08:04:12 icinga-qa icingacli[1865]: Task eventStream failed: Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password.
Aug 19 08:05:34 icinga-qa icingacli[1865]: Task eventStream failed: Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password.
Aug 19 08:07:35 icinga-qa icingacli[1865]: Task moRefs failed: Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password.
Aug 19 08:07:35 icinga-qa icingacli[1865]: Task eventStream failed: Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password.
Aug 19 08:08:52 icinga-qa icingacli[1865]: Task eventStream failed: Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password.
Aug 19 08:09:49 icinga-qa icingacli[1865]: Task eventStream failed: Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password.

I know that the credentials are right i can log in with them manually. Maybe they have to be written in a specific way but i couldnt find out how icinga needs them. Hope this helps thank you.

Hi,

yes the first one is the expected error, please check this issue for further information. Otherwise you can just change following line in the /etc/systemd/system/icinga-vspheredb.service file.
WatchdogSec=10
to
WatchdogSec=360

When this is not helping, please check how big your daemon log is in the database:
select count(*) from vspheredb.vspheredb_daemonlog

And then you can delete the daemonlog there’s nothing which you need to keep for a long time. The job just tries to cleanup this log, if its empty the cleanup will be quick.

For your second instance, are there any differences between them? Different VSphere Version maybe?
Did you write the user and the URI in the same style?

Hey

I changed the WatchdogSec but unfortunately no changes. I counted the entries in the database, they are about 385805. I deleted them and the daemon shows no problem anymore. I still have the

10:59:50: Task eventStream failed: Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password.

The second instance is just a complete new installed version of the vsphere module. So no differences. I wrote the user and the URI in the same style. And in the same way it works for the first instance, thats confusing.

Differs the VSphere Version from the first VCenter? There was a bug, I found a few weeks ago if you have a VSphere 7.

Can you post all your used versions of vcenter and vspheredb-modul?

a little bit delayed but here are the Versions:

first vCenter: 6.0
vspheredb: 1.1.0
second vCenter: 6.7
vspheredbl: 1.1.0