Using a 3rd party plugin from Icinga Exchange

Hello,

I want to use the xmppng plugin from Icinga exchange. I have manually used the plugin from the command line. For instance:

./check_xmppng -H xmpp.foo.bar --servername foo.bar
XMPP OK - request took 0.523989s, certificate valid for 70 days | daysvalid=70 time=0.523989s;;;0

That works great and that is what I need in Icinga. What I am not sure is how to call this script from Icinga. Specially how to pass the variables as I do with other check commands.

I have try this. Under /usr/local/etc/icinga2/zones.d/global-templates/commands/xmppng.conf I have:

object CheckCommand "xmppng"  {
  import "plugin-check-command"

command = "/usr/local/lib/nagios/plugins/check_xmppng"
}

Under /usr/local/etc/icinga2/conf.d/services/xmppng.conf I have:

apply Service "XMPP server " {
  import "generic-service"

check_command = "xmppng"
  command_endpoint = "master.foo.bar"

vars.xmppng_host_address = host.name
  vars.xmppng_servername = "foo.bar"

assign where match("xmpp.foo.bar", host.name)
}

The script is called, but the variables are not send as arguments. I know I am missing something, How do I know the name of the variables that are use by the command? Am I missing a step?

Thanks a lot.

PS I ask the question for xmppng, but I had the same issue trying other plugins. It would be nice to have something like a quick guide in exchange.icinga.com on how to add plugins.

This post saved my day.

So I modified /icinga2/zones.d/global-templates/commands/xmppng.conf and add the parameters there as seen here:

object CheckCommand "xmppng"  {
  import "plugin-check-command"

command = ["/usr/local/lib/nagios/plugins/check_xmppng"]

arguments = {
    "-H" = {
      value = "$xmppng_address$"
      description = "Hostname of the xmpp server"
    }
    "--servername" = {
      value = "$xmppng_servername$"
      description = "Domainame of the xmpp server"
    }
  }
}

I know this is documented somewhere, but it would be nice to have a quick start up in exchange.icinga.com

1 Like