My setup for decades is
- set an IP address for the host used for system administration only
- set an IP for every service running on that host
- all addresses have unique names in DNS
- 192.168.1.1 hugo.domain.local host IP
- 192.168.1.25 smtp.domain.local IP for postfix smtp running on that host
- 192.168.123 time.domain.local IP for NTP server running on that host
- 184.108.40.206 imap.domain.local IP for dovecot imap running on that host
Advantage is that the services can be relocated to other servers without changing a lot.
Problem is - I can set only one endpoint per host in Incinga Agent for “NodeName” in constants.conf. I can change the assigned NodeName, restart Icinga and connect to the configured IP/endpoint but not to more than one at the same time.
Error message in Icinga when trying to check the service:
Remote Icinga instance ‘hugo.domain.local’ is not connected to ‘icinga-master.domain.local’
Is there a way to configure Icinga to handle all the IP addresses on a multihomed hosts like single independent endpoints? I’m aware that it would be easy to check the IP addresses with check_icmp. But I need full agent functionality for every single IP address to check e.g the number of external time servers configured for NTP.
Icinga2 version: 2.13.2-1 (master and agents)
Director version 1.8.1
Any hints would be highly appriciated.