Unable to reset admin password for Icinga web interface using MySQL

Following human error in my password manager app, I’m no longer able to login to the administrator account for my Icinga Web 2 interface (lost password). This is also the only Icinga Web user account I have.

Since my web interface uses the icingaweb2 database for authentication, I’m trying to reset the admin password directly in MySQL using the following recommendation from this post:

1. Generated hash for new password:

openssl passwd -1 -salt 10 i_want_this_as_password
Output:
$1$10$dICVmz55eGloV8kHzSm9x.

1. Updated admin user’s password hash in MySQL:

mysql> use icingaweb2;
mysql> UPDATE icingaweb_user SET password_hash=‘$1$10$dICVmz55eGloV8kHzSm9x.’ WHERE name = ‘my_admin_account’;

1. Then ran the following to verify the change:

mysql> select * from icingaweb_user where name = ‘my_admin_account’;

1. Attempted to login to web interface using new password, but received “incorrect username or password” error.

I triple checked that the hash generated by openssl is the same entered in MySQL. Am I missing something?

Thanks.

• Icinga Web 2 version: 2.9.5
  • Web browser used: Chrome
  • Icinga 2 version used: 2.13.2-1
  • PHP version used: 7.3.29
  • Server operating system and version: CentOS 7

Please hash the password as described in the documentation. With openssl on the commandline, there’s no guarantee it will work.

Unfortunately, I previously attempted to hash the new password per the documentation with no luck.

Running php -r 'echo password_hash("yourtopsecretpassword", PASSWORD_DEFAULT);' throws an error.

-bash: php: command not found

I’m running rh-php73-php-fpm v7.3.29

Hi.

Just a short note:

Execute the commands on the machine with icingaweb2, php should be installed there.
Probably, you have to use the full path to php, e.g. : /usr/bin/php

Use:

type php

to get the full path to the php executable.

Greetings,
Homerjay

1 Like

I changed to the directory php is located (usr/bin/php) and tried to run php -r 'echo password_hash("yourtopsecretpassword", PASSWORD_DEFAULT);' but receive the same error.

-bash: php: command not found

Hi.

Try:

/usr/bin/php -r 'echo password_hash("yourtopsecretpassword", PASSWORD_DEFAULT);'

Greetings,
HomerJay

I searched my notes and found an entry where I tried the same.

Here I only used openssl passwd -1 "geheimespasswort" without the -salt 10 attribute.

If you can’t change the password of your icinga web administrator you can create a new user:

INSERT INTO icingaweb_user (name, active, password_hash) VALUES ('icingaadmin', 1, '<hash>');
1 Like

Running /usr/bin/php -r 'echo password_hash("yourtopsecretpassword", PASSWORD_DEFAULT);' results in

-bash: usr/bin/php: Is a directory

Creating a new user and giving them admin privileges was the only thing that worked. Thanks!