Tearing my hair out & losing the will to live

Yeah, I’ve done the conf.d / no conf.d dance and the import wizard. I did eventually find a method that would send emails but not in the docs, on another site. The method is not in the docs and the documented method doesn’t work. But that’s my fault it seems as the feeling I get from some of the forum responses is that I’m an idiot, a child could set this up and why didn’t I read the docs because they art the bible and the bible is the way and the light :wink:

It all feels so cobbled together and likely to fall over at the next 0.01 point release that it’s difficult to trust it to work reliably.

You should probably take a second look at our versioning system. A point release of Icinga 2 is e.g. 2.11.5. 2.12 or 2.12.0 is a major release.

Glad to take a look in the docs except…

The Google also seems to have trouble finding this information so if their great AI can’t find it, what hope for this poor mortal :wink:

I thought you as an IT professional would knew what the different versioning systems look like. Sorry for pointing out your mistake. I’ll make sure to not do that again.

I do use icinga for a ~40k devices IT professionnal system, and it works really well, if you are still not convinced, please check this and you’ll see even wikimedia (which have a pretty decent infrastructure and give back a decent public service to the internet) uses icinga as well :
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_servers

Hi.

I’m thinking that the communication in this thread is getting way too rough.
This may have partly understandable reasons, but it leads to nothing.

Many people in this forum use Icinga2 in professional environments, some of them for years, and are enthusiastic about it.

It is certainly not a good idea to go somewhere and offend everyone at first.
Since this project lives from the great work of many people, they feel naturally justifiably offended.

TL;DR
It seems to be a good idea to start this conversation again, in a friendly and respectful manner.

Greetings.

3 Likes

A typical versioning system is major.minor.patch

So 2.11 to 2.12 would be minor not major.

Clearly you use a different versioning system and that’s OK but I can’t find it and you won’t reveal. I suppose it helps to keep your God like position and to cast scorn on us mere mortals.

I know my place.

You are right, it appears my expectations may have been set too high by other systems.

It started off friendly enough but then I got some dumbness thrown at me, like pointing out that my OS wasn’t on the paid support matrix and that was why my installation didn’t work. Seriously?

My frustration grew as I tried to simplify and pare back to basics, carefully checking that my email system was working and that the supplied notification scripts worked only to find that it still couldn’t send emails and it didn’t give me anything in the logs to indicate why. At this point my frustration hit boiling point as this should not be difficult. Then I was told that the reason for this failure was that my agent was newer than my master but only by 0.01 which in my experience is only a minor release difference but I’m now told that I’m a naughty boy as this is not the case and prior to following the installation documents I should have read the versioning documentation which is locked away in a dungeon somewhere guarded by cerberus.

I’m sorry I vented but hopefully you can see why.

I’ve made some progress by myself by using resources outside of this community and now have some remote agents running and checking in plus email alerts. I’m now fighting a battle with getting a memory check to work for which I’ve opened a seperate topic here.

That’s impressive. I took a look at the link and indeed Wikipedia used to use Nagios and you could get public read only access to the data. They switched to icinga in 2014 and then soon after they shut down public access to read only data via icinga due to security issues in the product and haven’t opened it up since. They pull some limited data out to Grafana which they do grant public read only access to, it can basically tell you how long it’s taking to execute commands.

Honestly, I don’t see this discussion going in any productive direction.

I am not opposed to criticism on the forum, it’s healthy if people can speak up about their issues and I very much want to hear about it. I would not qualify what I have read in this topic as criticism though, but as bashing.
I am one again referring to our Community Code of Conduct.

If you have any specific questions about your setup and installation, feel free to open separate topics, as you have already done, but I will lock this topic now.

If you disagree, send me a message and we can discuss.