"Requesting salt, but got none" Error

Hey,

I believe this problem occured after the recent update, as it has worked before. When trying to access the “Agent” tab for a host to automate updates for agents I get the following error.

Requesting salt, but got none

#0 /usr/share/icingaweb2/modules/director/library/Director/IcingaConfig/AgentWizard.php(109): Icinga\Module\Director\IcingaConfig\AgentWizard->getTicketSalt()
#1 /usr/share/icingaweb2/modules/director/library/Director/IcingaConfig/AgentWizard.php(141): Icinga\Module\Director\IcingaConfig\AgentWizard->getTicket()
#2 /usr/share/icingaweb2/modules/director/library/Director/Web/SelfService.php(232): Icinga\Module\Director\IcingaConfig\AgentWizard->renderWindowsInstaller()
#3 /usr/share/icingaweb2/modules/director/library/Director/Web/SelfService.php(50): Icinga\Module\Director\Web\SelfService->showLegacyAgentInstructions()
#4 /usr/share/icingaweb2/modules/director/application/controllers/HostController.php(500): Icinga\Module\Director\Web\SelfService->renderTo()
#5 /usr/share/icingaweb2/library/vendor/Zend/Controller/Action.php(507): Icinga\Module\Director\Controllers\HostController->agentAction()
#6 /usr/share/php/Icinga/Web/Controller/Dispatcher.php(76): Zend_Controller_Action->dispatch()
#7 /usr/share/icingaweb2/library/vendor/Zend/Controller/Front.php(937): Icinga\Web\Controller\Dispatcher->dispatch()
#8 /usr/share/php/Icinga/Application/Web.php(304): Zend_Controller_Front->dispatch()
#9 /usr/share/php/Icinga/Application/webrouter.php(107): Icinga\Application\Web->dispatch()
#10 /usr/share/icingaweb2/public/index.php(4): require_once(String)
#11 {main}

I’m very much a rookie when it comes to ubuntu and icinga2 so I’d appreciate any help as simplistic as possible!

There are changes because of the possible security risk, did you also update the Director to 1.8.1 after updating Icinga 2?

1 Like

Thank you for the quick reply, I have in fact not updated the Director, still running 1.7.2. I am unsure how to, even after having read over this Upgrading - Icinga Director.

Yes, this note is rather short, but it is really such simple.

The director has three other modules he depends on. So before updating the director module you need to update the incubator module.

How to best update depends on how you installed it.

If installed via tarball, download the new tarball from github and place it on the system, then go to /usr/share/icingaweb2/modules. Delete the directory of the module, untar the tarball and rename the directory to be only the modules name (incubator instead of icingaweb2-module-incubator-0.6.0). That is all for most modules. In case of the director, the UI will show you pending migrations, you can apply them simply by pressing the button and ten I recommend restart the background daemon icinga-director.

If you used git, simply checkout the git tag. So navigate to the modules directory, run git fetch --all to see all the tags available. Then choose the tag you want, typically the latest and run git checkout tags/v0.6.0 -b 0.6.0. This will give you a branch with the state instead of a detached head, so you can more easily change versions. And it will give you a fixed version instead of the “unstable” master branch.

I just went ahead and executed the script as described here Installation - Icinga Director.

Icinga director is now running on 1.8.1 and for a second I thought I messed up big time as I got a long SQL error when chosing a host but after running the kickstart assistant everything seems to be back to normal again and the agent tab is working as well.

I very much appreciate the help!

Besten Dank.

You are welcome, and good to know that perhaps a new kickstart run is needed because of the TicketSalt.