Removing icinga director

hi guys,

may I ask if there are any steps to properly remove icinga director? below is the current environment:
icingaweb 2.3.4
director - 1.6.2
monitoring - 2.3.4

thanks!

• Disable the module
  • Purge the module from /usr/share/icingaweb2/modules/director
  • Purge configuration from /etc/icingaweb2/modules/director
  • Drop the director database in MySQL
  • Delete the director config package from Icinga 2’s REST API

Cheers,
Michael

1 Like

Shouldn’t this be /etc/icingaweb2/modules/director?

Small dummy question, as I have never used the package deletion via API before:
Does this only remove the packages (stored under /var/lib/icinga2/api/packages, correct?) or do the other folders under /var/lib/icinga2/api/ also get removed?

1 Like

Yep, you’re right. Little tired today, writing a release blogpost actually.

The reason why I have pointed to the REST API call - it safely removes everything needed, and the user shouldn’t fiddle with /var/lib/icinga2 at all. This may result in unexpected behaviour for the daemon and only is an advanced step.

1 Like

Thanks @dnsmichi!

Will this require a restart of the icinga services?

Deleting the config package should trigger a restart of Icinga 2, that’s enough.

Hello I just found this post and I am struggling with removing director.

1. I disabled the module
  2. should I delete the while directory “director” in /usr/share/icingaweb2/modules ?
  3. which configariton in /usr/share/icingaweb2/modules/director needs do be deleted ?
    I am a bit confused.

my folder /usr/share/icingaweb2/modules/director looks like this:
what is meant by purge the module and the configuration from here?

1. I tried to drop the database (postgresql) but I can’t delete the director table in postgres
    I use >> drop database director and nothing happnens.

2. When i try to remove from Rest Api with curl
    curl -k -s -u root:xxx -X DELETE -H 'Accept: application/json' 'https://localhost:5665/v1/config/packages/director'
    I just get the error message:
    {"error":500.0,"status":"Failed to delete package 'director'."}[root@xxxxx modules]#

and when I check my logs I still get these logs

Jan 12 14:09:22 xxx systemd: icinga-director.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=3/NOTIMPLEMENTED
Jan 12 14:09:22 xxx systemd: Failed to start Icinga Director - Monitoring Configuration.
Jan 12 14:09:22 xxx systemd: Unit icinga-director.service entered failed state.
Jan 12 14:09:22 xxx systemd: icinga-director.service failed.

There is no config under /usr/share/icingaweb2/modules, there was a mistake in the post. I corrected it with my next post (and his post now as well)

So remove the director folder from /etc/icingaweb2/modules and /usr/share/icingaweb2/modules

The director service will also have to be removed. This was not available (afaik) at the time of the original post.

1 Like

thank you that worked for me now