Removing downtime not possible

(Nicolai Buchwitz) #1

Hi,

I ran into a strange behaviour, when I accidentally created a wrong downtime for a host and and tried to remove the downtime afterwards. The creation of the downtime object was not successful (says the API):

{                                                                                                                                                                                       
    "results": [                                                                                                                                                                        
        {                                                                                                                                                                               
            "code": 500.0,                                                                                                                                                              
            "status": "Action execution failed: 'Error: Function call 'localtime_r' failed with error code 75, 'Value too large for defined data type'\n'."                             
        }                                                                                                                                                                               
    ]                                                                                                                                                                                   
} 

Although I can see the downtime in Icinga Web 2:

… but if I try to remove the Downtime, I get an error:

icinga2: Can't send external Icinga command: 404 No objects found.

Even if I try to remove all downtimes for this host by API, the broken downtime is still there.

Any ideas? Did I oversee something or is this a bug (which I should report)?

Environment
Icinga2 version: 2.10.2-1

(Michael Friedrich) #2

I’ve seen a similar thing with https://github.com/Icinga/icinga2/issues/6871 which seems to happen only when specific times are 0 or lower. What parameters are needed to reproduce the problem?

(Nicolai Buchwitz) #3

I used a value for time_end which was bigger than allowed (by datatype), thus the downtime has no end. I’d guess that the downtime only resist as zombie in the IDO.

(Michael Friedrich) #4

Ok, so you’ve hit an overflow with localtime_r which causes the core to fail. For some reason, the IDO creation event happens thus leaving this zombie entry behind. If you’re using an end_time after 2038, MySQL tends to throw an error as well.

(Nicolai Buchwitz) #5

OK. Can I safely delete the downtime entry in the IDO or do I have to keep something else in mind?

(Michael Friedrich) #6

icinga_scheduleddowntime and icinga_downtimehistory should do the trick.

(Michael Friedrich) #7

In terms of the problem itself, how should we fix this … putting in sanitizers directly in the API sounds the best, doesn’t it? Or should the caller receive an immediate error?

Cheers,
Michael

(Nicolai Buchwitz) #8

The best would be imho to prevent creating such broken downtimes (check boundaries and datatypes), so the REST request would fail with a certain error message.

Thanks,
Nicolai

(Michael Friedrich) #9

Ok, then we’ll have a lot of fun between 32bit time_t (year 2038) and 64bit time_t (year 3000) when using INT_MAX.

https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/cpp/c-runtime-library/reference/localtime-localtime32-localtime64?view=vs-2017

TL;DR - 32 bit systems should die.

(Nicolai Buchwitz) #10

Don’t know much about C++, but isn’t there any kind of “exception” raised if the value is to great? Or is this too late in context?

(Michael Friedrich) #11

The scope where the exception is thrown is different … actually I am thinking that the Log() call with FormatDateTime() triggers this in AddDowntime(). I haven’t yet had the change to reproduce this error with lldb attached.