Question: Import generic-host (pre-installed) template into director

Hello everyone,
as a beginner on Icinga I have made some huge steps in understanding the system and really loving it.

As my boss really likes GUIs I went for icinga director. So far so good.
Is there a way to import the generic-host (which was automatically pre-configured when installing icinga2) into director? I can add and create everything with director but I am missing the pre-installed host (on which icinga is running), the templates and notifications and so on…

I know where to edit them in config files but would be nice to see it in director too.

Best regards,
MountainGoat92

• Icinga Web 2 version and modules (System - About): icingadb-web v1.0.2-1, icinga-director 1.10.2
  • Icinga 2 version (icinga2 --version): r2.13.7-1
  • Operating System and version: ubuntu server 22.04 lts
  • Webserver, PHP versions: apache, php 8.1.2

Hi MountainGoat92

have you tried the https://icinga.example.com/icingaweb2/director/kickstart ? It imports a lot from the underlying Icinga2 config.

Hi Dominik,
thanks for your input - yes i went trough the director kickstart.

I think it might be an issue with my zone setup. I did not really care for the zones setup because I want to use icinga only in our offce so I skipped the part from Distributed Monitoring - Icinga 2
I am unsure if it is required to set up a master first before installing director - maybe that’s the issue??!!

Best regards,

just run the kickstart again and it will pick up, what you did after installing the director.

no sadly the pre-installed templates are not shown in director.
After installing and running kickstart director it did create 248 commands.

According to How to monitor your first Host with Icinga Director that seems to be the intended way…
“When installing Icinga 2 it comes with some default configuration which includes some basics to get started easier. This default configuration includes some basic templates and some standard checks, so your Icinga won’t be completely empty after the first start. Icinga Director does not come with this default configuration. (Besides the command definitions you imported during the initial Director setup.)”

So maybe I’ll just delete the preinstalled config and go on completely new config with director…

if you start over, I can recommend you to start with the Linuxfabrik checks and templates for the director.

You can install a base director config like so: linuxfabriks-director-configuration

Cool I will give it a shot :slight_smile: Thank you very much!