Problems with graphite-web aggregation and retention

Hi *,

I have graphite-web running now quite well and am happy with it in general.
Now I face the issue that the graphs don’t contain any data when going beyond the scope of 2 days (no matter which template, which service):

I believe that it has something to do with my retention / aggregation of the data.

This is what I’ve set in my storage-schema.conf:

[icinga2_default]
# intervals like PNP4Nagios uses them per default
pattern = ^icinga2\.
retentions = 1m:2d,5m:10d,30m:90d,360m:4y

I thought that it should keep 30 min resolution for 90 days so I shouldn’t face the issue that early?

Best,
Matthias

Hi.

Maybe this thread helps.

Did you update the existing whisper-files after a change of the storage-schemas?
See: here (same thread as above).
Please avoid a permission problem, see here (also same thread)

Greetings.

Is that the entirety of storage-schemas.conf? They go in order, so if you have the default matching .* one under it, it’s using that instead of your icinga pattern.

1 Like

Hi @homerjay, @blakehartshorn,

thanks a lot for that first help…fortunately it wasn’t just permission problems (would make me feel too bad).
With your posted thread (somehow my search strings are not good enough too find related posts) I think that I might should run whisper-resize, although I remind that I set up everything before having the first graphs created. So it should be no change…but…who knows…
Unfortunately resize takes soooo long that I will keep you updated on this.

Fortunately it shouldn’t be a problem of ordering in storage-schema.conf (I triple checked this).

[carbon]
pattern = ^carbon\.
retentions = 10s:6h,1m:90d

[icinga2_default]
# intervals like PNP4Nagios uses them per default
pattern = ^icinga2\.
retentions = 1m:2d,5m:10d,30m:90d,360m:4y

[default_1min_for_1day]
pattern = .*
retentions = 10s:6h,1m:6d,10m:1800d

Best & Thanks,
Matthias

I totally said it backwards a minute ago regarding order and I’m the one who wrote the guide here for it lol. My bad.

Yeah they probably created from an older config and resize does take forever. If it’s currently only holding 2 days, if it were me, I’d just blast it all away and start clean. It’s up to you, though.

I am just so inpatient…I can’t wait to see it…and waiting for the retention to come would be at least some days :wink:
But I am happy that it seems that you agree that the storage-schema is fine, don’t you?

What I totally missed to mention: I am using the docker container for carbon + statsd…but shouldn’t make a difference.

Ok…carbon / whisper has just one…
Some graphics gave some output beyond 2days, some don’t…I cleared all and will wait for some days.

1 Like

Ok, finally it works now.

2 Likes