Icinga2 Graphite

Dear Icinga Masters,

I’ve got a problem with Graphite. I am using Graphite on fist server, Ubuntu installation of Graphite, and Icinga2 with Icingaweb2 on the second separated server. My Graphite configuration allows me to check and display metrics and graphs only one day back. I need to increase history, to be able to check it about six months back. I have tried to set it up in /etc/carbon/storage-schemas.conf this way:

[1min_for_186days]
pattern = .*
retentions = 60s:186d

But anything changed. Please can you suggest me any other ways to solve this problem?

Thank you for reply

Lukáš Míča

Graphites storage schema in combination with Icinga is tricky sometimes. Configuring a storage schema in graphite that does not match the check interval can lead to a state where Graphite can not properly aggregate the metrics. Hence, you will have (large) gaps in your graphs.

In our docs we have a recommended storage schema for Graphite: https://icinga.com/docs/icinga2/latest/doc/14-features/#graphite-carbon-cache-writer

Still, if you have different check intervals, you have to make sure that you have a storage schema configured with a matching pattern and retention.

4 Likes

Hi.

Additionally i would suggest to have a look at here
(the part about storage-schemas), if you have not already read it.

Please note, that a change to the storage-schemas additionally requires an update of the whisper-files which already exist.

1 Like

Thank you for your factual advices, I have changed my .wsp files according my storage-schemas.conf file(using command sequence find ./ -type f -name ‘*.wsp’ -exec /usr/bin/whisper-resize --nobackup {} 15m:186d ; ) and let you know how this will work. Than I will consider changing my storage-schemas.conf file according to the information published on Icinga docs.

1 Like

I found out today that during updating .wsp files I mistakenly changed rights of them and all my graphs dissapeared, so I will let you know tomorow, how does it end. The message is “Be carefull with whisper-resize script. It is changing .wsp files owner when you execute it as root.”

Hello,

everything I working properly, after changes.

Thank you for your advices

Lukáš