Old Icinga instance / Icinga director

Hello,

I have an Icinga instance with a huge amount of hosts and services configured that we should move to another instance. The configurations are not in a Director module, and we are using a Mysql (idodb).

Could it be possible to use the Icinga director to take the configurations from the database and replicate it in the new cluster?

I can not find any document or guide that could help me to do this, I was just thinking to move all the configuration files… but I would also like to explore the director’s option…

If the migration is done by using the Director, all the objects are going to be configured in that module? are we going to lose access to the configuration files?

Unfortunately, no. .

1 Like

It’s cleaner to rebuild but some things can be transferred but I wouldn’t do it without the support of a Icinga GmbH technician or a Icinga Partner.
We got the help of the Linuxfabrik to move from the hand coded config to the director.

First, I would advice to get familiar on how to do it with the director and maybe change up the paradigm completely. Maybe use the director to import all hosts from a CMDB and use tags to let the Director generate the Services by leveraging service-sets, that get attached based on the tags a host has.

Personally it took me a while to get the director but it’s quite worth to invest the time.

If the migration is done by using the Director, all the objects are going to be configured in that module? are we going to lose access to the configuration files?

No, I still do some advanced stuff in the DSL directly in the config files - mostly for notifications for example Teams or to inherit the host notification users and groups onto services that have none defined.

Not true.
It is difficult and debatable if the hassle is valid. but some parts can be imported.
As Icinga2 also uses (used to use) the IDO schema backend, you can have a look at this talk from OSMC a while back, where there was an example for an import from Icinga1.
https://youtu.be/bkUlS5rlHzM?t=925

But it should be said that you won’t be able to import everything from there. But at least hosts should be possible.

You could also try this, which just came to my mind ;):
Install the Director on the existing system and use the kickstart wizard and/or the “CoreAPI” import source
to load the existing config into the Director. Not sure what you can then see inside the director. You could then try to add the “old” director db as resource to the new system and check with the Import source “Director objects” if it gets anything from the database:

Keep in mind that all this “automation” can also lead to more headaches and hassle then “simply” starting fresh and clean with the Director and looking at the existing config step-by-step.
As the Director differs a bit in its usage to the config files (e.g. service sets), you might even want to change it.

1 Like