No default graphite graph for new service

Hi. I am a little bit confused why and when graphite graphs are showing up in icingaweb2 and when not.

E.g. for my self-defined “maildelivery” check I do get a nice graph for the performance data:

but for a different check called “uptime” I don’t:

gkrellShoot_05-07-20_183327

Both deliver performance data and I don’t see a difference in the check definitions.
Could someone enlighten me please? :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Can you check Graphite directly or look in the whisper folder to see if you can find wsp files for those metrics? Not sure if its a problem on the Icinga, Graphite or Carbon side.

Also, are you using multiple carbon-cache daemons? A config error can cause some metrics to get lost but others to appear just fine.

1 Like

Additionally:

If there are no corresponding whisper files:
Although not very likely, do you accidentally use matching backlist-entries in the

/etc/carbon/carbon.blacklist

and have whitelisting (which also activates blacklisting) enabled in the

/etc/carbon/carbon.conf

?

Greetings.

Thank you, good points!

White/blacklisting ist not enabled. Only one carbon-cache daemon.
But there are actually no whisper files. This encouraged me to restart the carbon-cache daemon (was running for 7 days) and … … suspense … … graphs are created again!

So it had nothing to do with icinga.

Sorry for the noise and thanks a lot for your quick help!
ciberandy

1 Like

I had the same issue - I have created a new service in Icinga, but no Graph was displayed for it.
When I added “&graph_debug=1” to Icinga url, I have seen log message that 0 metrics was fetched.
I have opened the Graphite UI at http://localhost:4322/ and found graphs for other services, but the new one was not here too.
Then have I found hint here: retention in /etc/carbon/storage-schemas.conf should be aligned with the check_interval of the service, otherwise Graphite does not aggregate metrics correctly sometime - I have changed the check_interval to “1m” as the retention period in carbon and it works now :slight_smile: