Monitoring a Business Process with Check Command?

I am using Director. How do I monitor a business process from the business process module using the check command?

If I create a host/service template that uses the check command and then create a host/service using the template… it requires a host address etc… there are no host addresses for the business process. I don’t see how I can monitor it.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

I created a BusinessProcess-Dummy-Host(always UP) and assign the checks to this host.

The check comand already exists in the ITL and therefore the Director. It does not require a host address.

The applied service looks like this

1 Like

How do you tie the dummy host to the business process?

Director wants a host name and host address.

You don’t need to tie anything to the BP.
Maybe try it on the command line first:
'/usr/bin/icingacli' 'businessprocess' 'process' 'check' '<root node of the BP>' '--config' '<BP config file name (without .conf) in /etc/icingaweb2/modules/businessprocess/processes>' '--details'

Create a BP-Dummy Host, e.g.:

Configure the business process command inside the Director, create a service template with the check command and then apply the check for your desired BP to the BP Dummy host, e.g:

1 Like

In trying to get this working I have created the dummy host and the service check.

My issue now is that the service check for the business process outputs this error:

ERROR: Cannot read enabled modules. Config directory “/etc/icingaweb2” is not readable

I already added the nagios user to the Icingaweb2 group to fix this error with different check. What account is trying to run the check here that doesn’t have access to /etc/icingaweb2?

I think I am past this part now… I rebooted the icinga server and it now reports a different error that it cannot find a business process by the name I specified.

I got it! I entered the wrong name. User error!

Thank you so much for the help.

Do I have to use a check command on the dummy host? I have it set to hostalive because it complained in director if I didn’t add a check command…

I’m not 100% sure, but I also did. Checking localhost via ping will always be UP, so I don’t really care.

After changing users or groups, icinga2 has to be restarted to learn about these changes.

1 Like

Yes, just use dummy for the host provided as external imported command from the ITL. The actual service checks reference the icingacli_businessprocess command then.

Cheers,
Michael

Confirmed. After adding nagios to icingaweb2 group and restarting icinga2 service. The issue was resolved. Thanks.