Issue: Icinga not showing metrics stored in Graphite

Hi,

I have a problem with some metrics stored in Graphite.

Icinga send performance data correctly but it doesn’t show metrics in Icinga Web.

Checking Graphite (port 8080) I can see all metrics.

Could it be because of metric names (very long)?

icinga2.hostname_domain_local.services.Health:_Elastic_Search_Active.check_elasticsearch_key.perfdata.thread_pool.search.queue

Compared to other metric working:

icinga2.hostname_domain_local.services.Disk:_dev__sda1.disk.perfdata.

Versions:
Icinga Web 2: 2.6.1
Icinga 2: 2.10.0
Graphite module: 1.1.0
Graphite: 0.9.12

Thanks!

Hi,

can you show us the configuration of the graphite backend?

BR
ArMa

Hi,

Sure.

graphite_backend

Hi,

I have rechecked my checks and there are longer metric names and they are working like they should.
The only difference I can spot is the ‘:’ I am not sure if this is a issue or not.

Do you setup templates different to the default?
Could you show us the output from this command “icinga2 object list --type GraphiteWriter”

BR
ArMa

Here is requested command output:

Object ‘graphite’ of type ‘GraphiteWriter’:
% declared in ‘/etc/icinga2/features-enabled/graphite.conf’, lines 8:1-8:32

• __name = “graphite”
  • enable_send_metadata = false
  • enable_send_thresholds = true
    % = modified in ‘/etc/icinga2/features-enabled/graphite.conf’, lines 11:3-11:31
  • host = “192.168.177.160”
    % = modified in ‘/etc/icinga2/features-enabled/graphite.conf’, lines 9:3-9:26
  • host_name_template = “icinga2.$host.name$.host.$host.check_command$”
  • name = “graphite”
  • package = “_etc”
  • port = “2003”
    % = modified in ‘/etc/icinga2/features-enabled/graphite.conf’, lines 10:3-10:13
  • service_name_template = “icinga2.$host.name$.services.$service.name$.$service.check_command$”
  • source_location
    • first_column = 1
    • first_line = 8
    • last_column = 32
    • last_line = 8
    • path = “/etc/icinga2/features-enabled/graphite.conf”
  • templates = [ “graphite” ]
    % = modified in ‘/etc/icinga2/features-enabled/graphite.conf’, lines 8:1-8:32
  • type = “GraphiteWriter”
  • zone = “”

Regarding ‘:’, don’t think is the issue as other metrics are shown correctly.

/Marcos

Here is detailed path to metrics:

Green one is working while red one is not.

But both can be viewed in Graphite directly (or even in Grafana using Graphite as source).

2019-02-28_16h17_27

2019-02-28_16h22_56

/Marcos

Hi,

it looks like an issue with the Label of the performance data but thats just a guess.

Could you change it to something without “.”? Maybe that will work.

BR
ArMa

Hi,

I’m quite sure is related with string after “perfdata”. A single string without “.” works but if string has “.” then issue occurs.

perfdata._
perfdata.thread_pool.search.active

I’ll try to modify plugin output and see if it makes any difference.

But question is, does Icinga Web have to manage this correctly even having “.” in perfdata string?

Thanks!

Please show the plugin call on the command line (input and output).

Hi Wolfgang,

/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/harisekhon/check_elasticsearch_node_stats2.pl -H shes21 -N shes21.sh.local -K thread_pool.search.active

OK: node ‘shes21.sh.local’ stat: thread_pool.search.active=0 | ‘thread_pool.search.active’=0;;;

/Marcos

The label is enclosed in apostrophes so it should be taken as one string. It might be a bug of Graphite (?).

If it is due to the single quote in the perf data output you could try this fix for the graphite module:

(don’t let the title mislead you, I was on the wrong path when creating the issue)

Also you can add &graph_debug=1 to the URL to get a detailed debug log from the graphite module.

What I also needed to do to display all my graphs was setting the icinga_ido resource character set to “latin1”

1 Like

At the end it was related with dots.

I changed perf data output “thread_pool.search.active” to “thread_pool_search_active” and it starts working.

Sorry for late response.

/Marcos