Icingadb and redis in ha setup

Hi there,
I have set up a distributed setup with 2 masters. The icinga2 setup is working fine.
On each master, there is a redis server and icingadb running.

Then I have a 3rd server that hosts mariadb (mysql), icingadb, icingadb-web and icingaweb2. In the web interface, I could enter the redis information of the 2 masters, but it also demands for a localhost address, Do I have to configure the 2 redis instances also as hosts in /etc/icingadb/config.yaml? In which format?

|cinga Web 2 Version|2.11.4|
|PHP Version|8.2.7|

Loaded Libraries

|icinga/icinga-php-library|0.10.1|
|icinga/icinga-php-thirdparty|0.11.0|

Loaded Modules

icingadb 1.0.2

• Icinga DB Web version (System - About):
  • Icinga Web 2 version (System - About):
  • Icinga 2 version (icinga2 --version):
  • Icinga DB version (icingadb --version):
  • PHP version used (php --version):
  • Server operating system and version:

Icinga2 Version:
version: r2.14.2-1

System information:
Platform: Debian GNU/Linux
Platform version: 12 (bookworm)
Kernel: Linux
Kernel version: 6.1.0-18-amd64
Architecture: x86_64

Icinga DB version: v1.2.0
Build information:
Go version: go1.22.2 (linux, amd64)
Git commit: a0a65af0260b9821e4d72692b9c8fda545b6aeca
System information:
Platform: Debian GNU/Linux
Platform version: 12 (bookworm)

IMHO icingadb needs to be on the master nodes not on the web/DB server.
See picture an tip on Installing Icinga DB - Icinga DB

Yeah, icingadb is running on the masters. My assumption was that I need only icingadb-web and icingaweb on the DB/Webserver and that redis is only needed on the masters. Although I entered a command transports api connection to both masters in icingaweb, the redis connection is not established. I get the message, that the redis connection itself is established, but icinga2 is not running, although it is running succesfully on both masters.

I guess it isn’t seeing any updates from icinga2 in redis or icingadb this is why it is reporting that icinga isn’t running.

I get the message, that the redis connection itself is established, but icinga2 is not running, although it is running succesfully on both masters.

Have you enabled the Icinga DB Feature on each Icinga 2 master and configured the correct Redis instance on those hosts?

If each master node is equipped with Icinga 2, Icinga DB and Redis, the default configuration should already work after icinga2 feature enable icingadb.

The Icinga 2 should log errors if it has issues connecting to its configured Icinga DB. You might wanna consult the logs.

(Edited as the mail transport lost half of my message :confused:)

1 Like

I consulted the logs and the feature was enabled. The problem is the redis authentication. With protected mode enabled and password for the default user set, I get a NOAUTH message, but it works with protected mode off and without authentication. So apparently I have to look how to get the redis authentication right when using a password.

Thanks for your help!

1 Like