Icinga2+Director zones and inheritance

Hi,

Please help me to determine what exactly needs to be configured.

I need to deploy thousands of hosts and its checks using service apply rules to several zones using Director. Lets assume I have all zones and endpoins properly configured.

In order to simplify configuration, I would like to set zone property on host objects only and have rest of objects like commands, service templates and apply rules itself as zone-less. If zone is set on host only, will it properly propagate zone property to applied services and commands used by services?

I found this https://github.com/Icinga/icingaweb2-module-director/blob/master/doc/10-How-it-works.md#how-it-works which indicates that this should work as I would like to. Because templates and command should be in global zone. However I have no option to verify this by test right now.

Thank you and have a great day!

(edited typos)

Hi,

CheckCommand objects should be put into a global zone, if not already imported as external objects from Icinga 2’s ITL.

In terms of services, the underlaying apply rules will automatically determine the host’s zone and generate the zone authority based on this for service objects - e.g. if this host is being checked from a satellite zone. Once you set the agent flag on a host, all services will be executed as command endpoint on the remote end as well.

Question aside - these hosts will be synchronised to satellites, or do they reside on the master zone?

Cheers,
Michael

Hi Michael,

The idea is to synchronize all objects to satelites because of visiblity of servers in network.

Thank you for answer.

Hi,

without trying this out, it will be hard to understand. In my interpretation of the docs, assigning the host to a cluster zone, and making this an agent should work, and it can be abstracted into templates.

I’m not sure what’s best practice though, maybe @tgelf can help out here :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Michael

Thank you for you time