Icinga Web 2's PHP 7.3+ requirement on RHEL 8

Hello, I’m a long-term Nagios user trying to set up a new Icinga 2 (2.13.2) installation on RHEL 8.5.

After getting to the Icingaweb2 requirement (I’m trying to install version 2.9.5) the setup page complained that “You are running PHP version 7.2.24.” which is obviously true since that’s what comes with RHEL 8.5.

The Web documentation cookbook seems to be wrong, it references obsolete repos like “rhel-8-server-optional-rpms” that don’t exist anymore.

It also doesn’t say how to get PHP 7.3 or higher on RHEL 8. SCL is mentioned but again, that seems obsolete. It is also mentioned in the context of “RHEL/CENTOS 7 PHP SCL”, not RHEL 8.

I don’t know what to do. Do I install PHP 7.3 from the REMI repo and pray that Icingaweb2 can find it?

There is a php:7.3 module you can install.

Just as an example from a CentOS 8 server I have access to right now:

$ yum module list php
Last metadata expiration check: 1:01:23 ago on Mon 31 Jan 2022 10:16:46 PM UTC.
CentOS Stream 8 - AppStream
Name                                   Stream                                       Profiles                                                     Summary                                                
php                                    7.2 [d][e]                                   common [d], devel, minimal                                   PHP scripting language                                 
php                                    7.3                                          common [d], devel, minimal                                   PHP scripting language                                 
php                                    7.4                                          common [d], devel, minimal                                   PHP scripting language                                 
php                                    8.0                                          common [d], devel, minimal                                   PHP scripting language                                 

Hint: [d]efault, [e]nabled, [x]disabled, [i]nstalled
1 Like

Thanks Lee. Oh geez - I’d forgotten all about Modules in RHEL 8. (We’re just transitioning off of RHEL 7.)

Is either one (7.3 or 7.4) preferred for maximum compatibility with Icingaweb2 2.9.5?

To be honest, 7.2 will still be compatible for ~1 year at least. But if you have the choice between 7.x or 8.x, go get 8.x.

1 Like