Icinga on Amazon Linux

Are there any plans for official support (packages) for Amazon Linux?

1 Like

Might be a question for the devs on github, but I would imagine that someone in the community would need to step up to be a package maintainer (not sure though, every open source project is different).

@theFeu mind if @ you? :sweat_smile:

The @ was probably the quickest way here :stuck_out_tongue:
I’ll ask my colleagues tomorrow :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There are plans to get packages ready for Amazon Linux 2, but there aren’t any more details I can share with you at this point in time…

Hope this helps though! :slight_smile:

1 Like

At least this is better than what I’ve heard earlier when they answer was a simple no :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As Far as i can tell, from my personal experience it works.

It is not official supported as to date because the we are in a planing state.
If you have problems with the installation, i might be able to provide help.

Regards

David

2 Likes

@dokon As far as I can see it’s the SELinux package that is the biggest issue.
I have been able to have it up and running but when I tried to install the SELinux package things broke. It’s quite some time now since I tried it out and unfortunately I didn’t took notes of the exact details so I don’t remember all about it.

Is the SELinux package something you have managed to solve in some way? I think I was about to try to use the source from github. Patch things and then create my own RPMs. But, I’m not 100% sure :smile:

I must admit i’ve avoided to install the selinux package because i feared it might interfere with the install.
I changed all necessary selinux settings by hand which is tedious but worked out better than the selinux package which was more streamlined for rhel/centos installations.

In this case i would also suggest to use the source and patch your needs into an rpm.
Our future one might not work for every occasion…

So i think this is a case where most people will customize to their own needs.

Regards

David

If the SELinux package throws errors during install of the policy package (resulting in it being not installed) it is typically a problem of differing base policies. This also happened in the past when there was some bigger and unexpected change on CentOS or when CentOS and RHEL differed. Simply rebuilding the package or compiling the policy manually on the corresponding system should fix this.

If there are bigger changes in the base policy there are some optional statements where appropriate which should still ensure it compiles with less functionality. I hope this is not the case, but I am not sure about the state of SELinux in Amazon Linux at all.