Icinga Director configuration file location

Hi all,

I am trying to deploy this into our system for testing - GitHub - nisabek/icinga2-slack-notifications: Icinga2 notification integration with slack

I am a bit confused with the directory structure. First, when I clone the repo, the exact directory structure under /etc/icinga2/conf.d doesn’t look the same as README doco. But that’s fine, I guess I can handle that.

What I am confused is the instruction for Latest how-to on Icinga Director.

1. Is the documentation up-to-date?
  2. If I remember correctly, configuration for director is under /var/lib/.... Can I create/modify files under this directory on my own directly? Or, should I use /etc/icinga2/... directories and somehow make Icinga Director import them into it?

Apologies for bad English. Hope I can get some help from here. Thanks a lot.

Eoin

HI,

the director is a module for icingaweb2. So the install and configuration directory from the docs (Installation - Icinga Director) are still correct (/etc/icingaweb2/modules and /usr/share/icingaweb2/modules).

You can find the deployment under /var/lib/icinga2/api

Hi @stevie-sy,

Perhaps I was not explaining correctly. Basically, I’d like to implement notification configuration to Icinga Director.

If I make a change under /etc/icinga2 and reload/restart Icinga2, does Icinga Director know about this and can I use it from Director? Or should I use a different directory?

Regards,
Eoin

no, the director don’t recognize this. What the director has is a kickstart function (CLI - Icinga Director, Installing Icinga Director - Icinga Director). This tool check some conf files like zones.conf, ITL and import this.

But if you use the director, why you want to configure this manually in conf files? Mix both ways may cause problems. The director has menue to configure this in an easy way. If you configure the notification command there, you only have to tell him where the notification script can be found. And this is your choice where you want to save this. You can choose the directory where the monitoring plugins are installed by default or you choose your own individual directory.

Hi @stevie-sy,

The thing is - if I want to create a notification template, I have to register a notification command to Icinga director.

Are you saying that I need to copy content of configuration files under the git repo into Icinga director? Am I following you or barking at a wrong tree?

Eoin

The ITL definition from icinga you should find under /usr/share/icinga2/include. So you could try to copy the command definition you’ll find in the repo into this directory - maybe in a own one
If you create a seperate path for individual command definition, you could also try to include this into /etc/icinga2/icinga2.conf
After it should possible to run the kickstart function from the director and the definition should be found and imported.

Or you re-create the definition manully in the director. In this case you only need to copy the defintion script to your server.

Hi @stevie-sy,

Thanks for that. It looks like using directories under /etc/icinga2/ works. Kickstart imported configurations. Now, I need to find out how to configure this and use. It’s going to be a long day I guess :grinning:

Eoin