Icinga 2 Windows agent: prerequisites?

Hi,

quick question, as I couldn’t find anything related on the docs or the community:

What prerequisites does the installation of the Icinga 2 Agent require on Windows?

Specific .NET version?
minimum Windows OS Version? (2008, 2012…)

Reason: I’m rolling the agent out via SCCM and some of the servers don’t get the agent installed at all.

Thanks and greetings

Requirements:
https://icinga.com/docs/icinga2/latest/doc/06-distributed-monitoring/#distributed-monitoring-setup-client-windows

Official Support Ends when OS Support Ends:

but Server 2008 R2 should work. R1 only with older agents because of the framework.

3 Likes

Hi,

This is highly likely caused by a missing .NET 4.6 Framework (or higher). The installer checks if the .NET requirement is met, if you run the setup via GUI you should see a error message complaining about missing .NET 4.6.

I’ll guess SCCM uses msiexec to install? You can turn on verbose logging with the /L*V parameter according the following example:

msiexec /i "C:\MyPackage\Example.msi" /L*V "C:\log\example.log"

This should also give insights why the installation fails.

Best regards
Michael

2 Likes

Thanks guys !
Only had a look at the Agent based Monitoring part of the docs :roll_eyes:

@mcktr Agent installation is done via PowerShell, the Icinga2Agent Module and the Director Self-service API

That, you also should worry about the Powershell Version. You should have at least 3.0 but I’m NOT 100% sure that Powershell 3.0 is enough

Just installed on PowerShell 2 without problems, twice :slight_smile:

1 Like