Icinga 2 Web on Windows

Hello,

Actually I got two questions:

I was able to install Icinga 2 on windows server (from installer from web page) but I’m unable to figure out how to install web. There are only Linux installers. I got Windows with Apache server, but I don’t know where to download the files. Thank you for advice.

I read that Icingi is working with MySQL db - is there any way how to use it with MSSQL - I know that in this case I need to switch db connectors, but once done will it work ?

Thank you for info :wink:

Hello Jakub,

welcome to our community. Icinga2 is not intended to run as Core on Windows, but as client also mentioned as agent. That means you need to have at least one master running on Linux and connecting Windows machines as clients.

1 Like

Hi,

concluding what @rsx said - the main reasons for not supporting Windows as monitoring server is knowledge on performance tuning, troubleshooting, and of course - providing UIs natively for everything. Even if you may run the PHP application from Icinga Web 2, it still requires more time to figure out when something goes wrong.

There’s also no plans to make the core write to MSSQL or any other RDBMS than the current ones. When you see some references to MSSQL in the Icinga Web 2 resource configuration, keep in mind that these can only be used by modules, e.g. for the Icinga Director as import source to create hosts objects automatically.

Further, Windows requires more love in terms of check plugins. While we have the monitoring-plugins package on Linux/Unix, you’ll need other/extra scripts on Windows. Some of them have been implemented in a common effort (actually a trainee project turning in good production) provided with the Icinga installer, others are missing and require additional Powershell scripts, or the use of addons such as NSClient++,

That being said, I highly recommend to choose your favourite distribution, best some LTS with Ubuntu 18.04 or CentOS/RHEL 7 and follow the setup instructions from the docs. Installation is a breeze, and when it comes to distributed monitoring and agents, follow up with questions here :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Michael

1 Like

Thank you very much for your replies. I decide to give up on Icinga on Windows. I will look for some other monitoring tool. Unfortunately I can’t go for Unix , I need to stick with Windows. Could you please recommend me some good Win monitor tool.

Do you have specific reasons for not using a Linux VM? I don’t know much about free open source tools running on Windows. The paid variant directly from Microsoft is SCOM, but I don’t have any experience with it.

At work we are forced to use it. This is not crucial for me, we have a SCOM set up by ouroutsource India company, but for me it seems broken - in my opinion not the app is faulty. So I tried to set up somethig by myself instead of losing time with outsourcer. I will keep searching. Thank you very much for all the ansvers :wink:

1 Like