How to use check_printer_health plugin/command

Hi,

I’ve been deepdiving in to nagios/icinga to create a futureproof monitoring platform in our organization.
At the moment, I’m trying to visualize our printer environment.
Instead of using custom SNMP commands, I wanted to use the allround check_printer_health command.
I see the command is available to use, but when used, it lets me know it cannot find the executable.
I’ve been searching through docs on icinga and also nagios and I see now that this command is not part of the monitoring project. I suspect the command used can be found here (https://labs.consol.de/nagios/check_printer_health/), which I remember seeing before.
Now I’m at a loss on how to get that into my enviroment (Debian 4.19.98-1). I’ve seen commands for nagios to get custom plugins, but I’m not sure this is what I’m looking for.

Any suggestions?

Hello @terryprosafco!

Debian… 4.x?! A 2007 distro? I’m afraid you couldn’t even put the latest Icinga on it.

Anyway, if your distro doesn’t package a particular plugin, you should consult its installation manual.

Best,
AK

Hi,

I’m sorry but miscommunicated the debian version.
It should be this: Description: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
It’s a new install (colleague did the install, hence why I didn’t knew the version).

I’ve read the advice to check for installation manual, but not all plugins provide that.
So if I understand correctly, I should find a package which I put in the plugin-dir. If not, look for instructions?

1 Like

Hellow,

# apt install libnet-snmp-perl
# mkdir -pv /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/contrib
# wget https://labs.consol.de/assets/downloads/nagios/check_printer_health-1.1.0.1.tar.gz --directory-prefix=/tmp
# cd /tmp
# tar xzvf check_printer_health-1.1.0.1.tar.gz
# cd check_printer_health-1.1.0.1
# ./configure --libexecdir=/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/contrib
# make
# make install

Probably there are some other perl dependencies needed but I have no Debian to hand so I just can guess the others but net-snmp is pretty sure required.

@Al2Klimov Debian 4.19.98-1 is related to the used kernel which is a Debian Buster kernel so far.

Sincerly