Host to Service & Service to Service Dependency Issue

Hi Everyone,

Introduction:
Hope you all are doing well. For the last two weeks I have been trying to establish dependency between my host and their respective services, which is built in functionality in Icinga2. Also I have been trying to apply service to service dependency by defining a specific single service as a parent and rest of services as children in a service set.

Issue:
In both of above cases when a parent gets down/critical and then afterwards its children get critical (handled). The apply rule of dependency take effect and the notification for services are not fired. But my pain area comes later, when parent gets up/ok, soon after that the services state changes from critical (handled) to critical (unhandled) due to which the notification are fired.

I have been trying to resolve this problem for a while now by altering check execution of these host and services but so far no luck. This functionality is very critical and important for a client of mine. So I have to achieve it one my or another. If anyone has any solution or can offer any help, kindly please share. I will be very grateful for your support.

Thank you in advance…

• Icinga (icinga2 --version 2.12.3)
  • Icinga Web 2 (icingaweb2 --version 2.8.2)

Best Regards,

Hi and welcome :slight_smile:

That is (or better was) a known bug.
It got resolved with v2.13.4 of Icinga2: Release Icinga 2 v2.13.4 · Icinga/icinga2 · GitHub
(see bullet point 2)

So you will have to schedule an update for your master instance :slight_smile:

Cheers and have a nice weekend!

1 Like

Hi @log1c,
Firstly, thank you very much for your quick response on this very important issue :slight_smile:.

Secondly I need to confirm that whether there is a way to resolve this issue on this version of Icinga. Actually I feel slightly reserved towards updating my Icinga as I am using it in a stack environment which contain some other tools and databases integrated with Icinga which might need to be updated as well. This seems to be a risk on my end, which I wanted to avoid.

Your kind suggestion will be highly valuable to me, if you can advise a way to tackle this problem in my current version of Icinga.

Best Regards,
Kashan