Host in pending status

Hello everyone!

I have recently installed Icinga2 on a server and I want to connect another one (a satellite) to it.

The problem is that it is in perpetual “pending status”, I have activated the debug log, but I don’t see anything that helps me with the problem, thank you.

Satellite: /etc/icinga2/zones.conf

object Endpoint "monitor" {
        host = "x.x.x.x"
        port = "5665"
}

object Zone "master" {
        endpoints = [ "monitor" ]
}

object Endpoint "elk.x.net" {
}

object Zone "elk.x.net" {
        endpoints = [ "elk.x.net" ]
        parent = "master"
}

Master: /etc/icinga2/zones.d/master/hosts/elk.x.net.conf

object Host "elk.x.net" {
  import "x-server"

display_name = "elk.x.net"
  address = "x.x.x.x"
  vars.client_endpoint = name
  vars.disk_exclude_type = [ "nfs4" ]
  vars.disk_wfree = "10%"
  vars.disk_cfree = "5%"

}

My debug.log in the satellite says:

[2024-01-18 13:10:42 +0100] notice/CheckerComponent: Pending checkables: 0; Idle checkables: 0; Checks/s: 0
[2024-01-18 13:10:42 +0100] notice/ApiListener: Setting log position for identity 'monitor': 2024/01/18 12:36:56
[2024-01-18 13:10:42 +0100] notice/ApiListener: Updating object authority for objects at endpoint 'elk.x.net'.
[2024-01-18 13:10:42 +0100] debug/ApiListener: Not connecting to Endpoint 'monitor' because we're already connected to it.
[2024-01-18 13:10:42 +0100] debug/ApiListener: Not connecting to Endpoint 'elk.x.net' because that's us.
[2024-01-18 13:10:42 +0100] notice/ApiListener: Current zone master: elk.x.net
[2024-01-18 13:10:42 +0100] notice/ApiListener: Connected endpoints: monitor (1)
[2024-01-18 13:10:42 +0100] notice/JsonRpcConnection: Received 'event::Heartbeat' message from identity 'monitor'.
[2024-01-18 13:10:47 +0100] notice/CheckerComponent: Pending checkables: 0; Idle checkables: 0; Checks/s: 0
[2024-01-18 13:10:47 +0100] notice/ApiListener: Setting log position for identity 'monitor': 2024/01/18 12:36:56

And this is my webapp:

Have you added satellite’s zone and endpoint object to monitor’s zones.conf?

Yes, sorry, I forgot to mention it:

In master (monitor), this is my /etc/icinga2/zones.conf

object Endpoint "monitor.com" {
        host = "x.x.x.x"
        port = "5665"
}

object Zone "master" {
        endpoints = [ "monitor.com" ]
}

object Zone "global-templates" {
        global = true
}

/*
//object Zone "director-global" {
//      global = true
//}
*/

/*********************************/
/*     elk.x.net
/*********************************/
object Endpoint "elk.x.net" {
}
object Zone "elk.x.net" {
        endpoints = [ "elk.x.net" ]
        parent = "master"
}
/*-------------------------------*/

Satellite’s log tells connection to its master is fine. This is independent from the host objects since it belongs to the master. Hence, I’ve no idea why it is pending.

And is there a way to debug this better? I have also read in some topics that it could be a “chicken egg problem” but I have not known how to apply them to my particular case.

Also I have the feeling that the checker does not work since I have another server configured (it is also called “monitor”, all this comes from a migration, the old “monitor” works, the new one does not)

And I can see the “last check” in the old while in the one that doesn’t work, I always see “check now”. And it seems that the “Check source” is missing:

“Check Source” gets filled when a check is executed, hence, pending checks does have empty “Check Source”.

mm then what can I do ?

I’m confused.
Your satellite connect to the master “monitor”, but you show the zones.conf from the master “monitor.com”.

Are these two separate masters?
What does the zones.conf of the master “monitor” look like?
What does the log on the master, where the satellite should connect to, tell you? Something like “self-signed certificate” or anything else connection-related.

Hello, it is because in my logs I have this:

warning/ApiListener: Unexpected certificate common name while connecting to endpoint 'monitor.com': got 'monitor'

but I don’t why or where is it getting this information

This means that the master you are connecting to is named “monitor.com” (the endpoint object).
Then the endpoint object for the master in the satellites zones.conf has to be named exactly the same.

yes, thank you!

I saw your answer in another post about re-running the wizard with the correct name fqdn and it worked