Failed to start icingadb-redis.service after update

Hello everyone!

Icinga2 deployed in the LXC-container, based on Debian Bookworm.

After a full upgrade system and all packages (apt update && apt upgrade -y && apt-autoremove -y), I encountered a problem starting the service:

× icingadb-redis.service - Redis database for Icinga DB
     Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/icingadb-redis.service; enabled; preset: enabled)
    Drop-In: /run/systemd/system/service.d
             └─zzz-lxc-service.conf
     Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2024-07-11 15:39:14 +03; 8min ago
   Main PID: 20832 (code=exited, status=217/USER)
        CPU: 12ms

Jul 11 15:39:14 icinga-master-01 systemd[1]: Starting icingadb-redis.service - Redis database for Icinga DB...
Jul 11 15:39:14 icinga-master-01 (s-server)[20832]: icingadb-redis.service: Failed to set up user namespacing: Read-only file system
Jul 11 15:39:14 icinga-master-01 (s-server)[20832]: icingadb-redis.service: Failed at step USER spawning /usr/bin/icingadb-redis-server: Read-only file system
Jul 11 15:39:14 icinga-master-01 systemd[1]: icingadb-redis.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=217/USER
Jul 11 15:39:14 icinga-master-01 systemd[1]: icingadb-redis.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Jul 11 15:39:14 icinga-master-01 systemd[1]: Failed to start icingadb-redis.service - Redis database for Icinga DB.

I tried to forcefully remove the packages mentioned in the blog, but that didn’t solve the problem.

If run ExecStart from service manually:

/usr/bin/icingadb-redis-server /usr/share/icingadb-redis/icingadb-redis-systemd.conf

then Redis accepts connections and the notification disappears in IcingaWeb2.

IcingaDB packages versions:

icingadb-redis/icinga-bookworm,now 7.0.15-1+debian12 amd64 [installed]
icingadb-web/icinga-bookworm,now 1.1.2-1+debian12 all [installed]
icingadb/icinga-bookworm,now 1.2.0-1+debian12 amd64 [installed]

I tried:

• systemctl daemon-reload
  • reinstall all icingadb* packages
  • check permissions for /etc/icingadb*
  • compared systemd configs with fresh installed container

Never found any problems…

Hi, we have hardened the Icinga DB Redis systemd unit file, such as enabling the PrivateTmp option and much more, which forces systemd to set up a new filesystem for that service and mount the required directories from your host system. However, having never used an lxc container, I can’t tell you what option you need to set to make it work.

Nevertheless, if I understood you correctly, Icinga DB Redis was working before the upgrade? In that case, you can comment out the ReadOnlyPaths=/ option in the service file and see if it works, because that’s the only new option added in the new version.