Director shows hosts are down while ping service is active and up

I’m not sure if this is a bug or a configuration error so i’ve also posted on GitHub

Expected Behavior

When creating a host with a simple hostalive host template, the host should come up and plugin output displayed with no time out.

Current Behavior

Currently the default ping4 service says up but the host says down for every host I’ve made. I am able to ping all hosts from server CLI. I’ve tried different check commands for the host template but none will bring the host up.

Possible Solution

perhaps director doesn’t have the correct access to the check plugin? I’m not sure why it’s behaving this way

Steps to Reproduce (for bugs)

Followed guide for icingaweb2 and Director from here and community

Your Environment

• Director version (1.7.2):
  • Icinga Web 2 version and modules (2.7.1):
  • Icinga 2 version (r2.10.5-1):
  • Operating System and version:
    System information:
    Platform: Ubuntu
    Platform version: 19.10 (Eoan Ermine)
    Kernel: Linux
    Kernel version: 5.3.0-1015-raspi2
    Architecture: aarch64

Build information:
Compiler: GNU 9.1.0
Build host: bos02-arm64-035

• Webserver, PHP versions:
    PHP Version
    7.3.11-0ubuntu0.19.10.2

Apache/2.4.41 (Ubuntu)

please show the command Icinga is executing, there is a button at the host to show it.

A service check is something different than a host check.
Normally a host is checked via it’s IP or FQDN to verify it’s reachability. Then you add service checks to your hosts to check things like CPU usage, disk space etc.
In my opinion a service check that just pings the hosts address is obsolete (and a relic from nagios). I don’t implement them anymore.

Also: What @unic said! There is a “Inspect” link in Icinga Web 2 on the hosts status page.

Small side note: The Director is the configuration interface inside Icinga Web 2. Icinga Web 2 is the webinterface that shows the hosts and services :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, that was the name i couldn’t find yesterday - Only navigated to this by muscle memory in the past :wink:

I have not configured any services for these hosts. Icinga creates a ping4 service check for hosts created by default. I just haven’t changed the default .conf file yet as this is a fresh install.

please give that for ping4 too. Only the cmd part (the black line) is needed. Also check “Last check” for the ping check. if the host is down, that could be an old message, because the check was postponed because the host is down.

is this what you mean for last check?

Thank you all for the time you may have spent on this for me. I have figured out my issue. My check execution time was set to 2s, but it wasn’t enough. My checks require a 5 second execution time or the plugin times out. All hosts are happy and healthy!

1 Like

i meant the “last check” on your last screenshot :slight_smile: