Client TLS handshake failed - Operation canceled

I want to connect an icinga satellite to an icinga master. The icinga satellite is running on-prem and the icinga master on a vps. The on-prem network and the vps network are connected by a Site-to-Site IPSec tunnel.

I use the icinga2 node wizard to connect the satellite to the master. When I enter the request ticket, I this error messages:

critical/cli: Could not fetch valid response. Please check the master log.
critical/cli: Failed to fetch signed certificate from master 'icingam01.subnet.vcn.oraclevcn.com, 5665'. Please try again.

This is the log from the master:

[2024-01-22 13:50:22 +0100] information/ApiListener: New client connection from [::ffff:xxx.xxx.xxx.83]:42136 (no client certificate)
[2024-01-22 13:50:22 +0100] information/ApiListener: No data received on new API connection from [::ffff:xxx.xxx.xxx.83]:42136. Ensure that the remote endpoints are properly configured in a cluster setup.
[2024-01-22 13:50:41 +0100] critical/ApiListener: Client TLS handshake failed (from [::ffff:xxx.xxx.xxx.83]:51632): Operation canceled

I saw that there are other posts in this forum about this problem. So I already checked the time on the satellite with TZ=UTC date, which is the same on both systems.

I also tried to do a connection with openssl s_client. There I get

---
SSL handshake has read 3443 bytes and written 447 bytes
Verification error: self-signed certificate in certificate chain
---
New, TLSv1.3, Cipher is TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384
Server public key is 4096 bit
Secure Renegotiation IS NOT supported
Compression: NONE
Expansion: NONE
No ALPN negotiated
Early data was not sent
Verify return code: 19 (self-signed certificate in certificate chain)

Does anybody has an idea how to solve the issue?

• Version used: r2.14.2-1 (master and satellite)
  • Operating System and version: Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish) (master and satellite)
  • Enabled features: api checker debuglog icingadb mainlog notification (master)

I installed another icinga master instance on the same network as the satellite. When I connect the satellite through the node wizard it’s working fine.

I compared the openssl s_client output and there indeed is a difference:

vps master:
Verify return code: 19 (self-signed certificate in certificate chain)

on-prem master:
Verify return code: 18 (self-signed certificate)

I guess that’s why the handshake is not working.
But what is causing this error?

Edit: Nevermind… I guess that’s because the on-prem master was a “test satellite” before. So it’s certificate was was not signed by the ca.crt and this means there is no certificate chain.

So, I still have no idea why it’s not working as it should :confused:

I found the issue. There was a routing problem with the Site-to-Site tunnel.