Check_load.exe: Failed to format error message, last error was: 2147485648

Scaling out to a new product I inherited. I’ve run into issues with check_load in the past, but I’ve never seen this error before. Most similar thing I saw when googling was for the check_update check, and the answers for that didn’t seem relevant.

• AWS EC2 instance
  • Windows 2012R2
  • Icinga 2.10.5 (this got assigned to me ahead of the 2.11 upgrade)
  • Running as LocalSystem Account (at least for troubleshooting purposes)

Output with debug on when running manually isn’t very verbose:

PS C:\Program Files\icinga2\sbin> ./check_load --debug
Creating query and adding counter
Failed to format error message, last error was: 2147485648

Anybody seen this one before?

Hello Blake,
I hope you are well. Please try running command “lodctr /r” from the local command line with admin permission on your windows client. The local performance counter are corrupted and need to get rebuild for the check_load command to work correctly.

Regards
Alex

This server apparently has far more corruption than that and is being rebuilt. Thanks for the response, should prove handy for future searches.

No problem, Glad you found the problem

Hi @aclark6996

I have the same issue as @blakehartshorn, but for us it is

• on all windows servers, not one (Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2016, Windows Server 2019)
  • the command lodctr /r didn’t help on the machines

Any other idea?
We are running version: v2.12.3 on our servers all installed just two weeks ago with new Icinga2 for Windows.

Best,
Matthias

Hello @blindzero,
What Icinga2 Windows plugin are you having problems with? Does the ‘C:\Program Files\ICINGA2\sbincheck_disk.exe’ work without error?

Regards
Alex

Hi @aclark6996

as with @blakehartshorn the issue was about check_load.exe
I now figured out that it has something to do with the service user we use. Somehow it seems that this user doesn’t have sufficient rights.
Originally we didn’t want to grant administrative privileges but dedicated run as service rights etc.
Now playing around it turns out that even being an domain admin is not sufficient and results in this error. Only assigning them manually as local administrators works (or using system account or service).
Somehow strange because not really “least privileges” approach?

Best,
Matthias

Hello @blindzero,
Did you change the default account when Icinga2 was installed? Maybe this is the problem. The default is using the local build-in account ‘Network Service’. I used the default setting so I never experienced the problem you describing.

Hi @aclark6996
Hm, i will try. Wasn’t there issues with those built in accounts for some checks? E.g. updates?

Hi, i have the same error
Could you help me?

I installed and configured icinga agent on Vm.
I get error in subject for a check_load (cpu).

I try to reset count.
Reinstall and re configure agent.

The issue persiste

Run command ‘C:\Program Files\ICINGA2/sbin/check_load.exe’ ‘-c’ ‘100’ ‘-w’ ‘97’ but get the same error.

O,s is windows server 2016 build 14393.5246

the same command on another vm works.