Best Practice for using the Powershell Framework

Hi,

i am currently trying to adapt our Windows Clients to the Icinga Powershell Framework. I tried to read up on what is now considered best practice, but am a bit confused as to what to do in the following cases:

1. Installing the Powershell Framework and the Icinga Client on a new client
  2. Installing the Powershell Framework and updating an existing (manually installed) client
  3. Updating the Powershell Framework on a client where it was previously installed vie the (now deprecated) kickstart script

Starting with 1. I was able to install the Powershell Framework using the documentation. I also installed the Icinga Client during the installation process. I normally add new hosts on my monitoring server through director (which also generates a CSR Agent Ticket). I wasn’t able to input this ticket anywhere. After installation the client did not connect to the master server. I then manually started the Agent Wizard and reregistered the agent (the same way I did before using the Powershell Framework).

What is the correct way to connect a client to master? Where can I read up on the different options (client connects to master, master connects to client), that the CLI installer asks for?

Any help (also links to documentation regarding the use cases 1-3) would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

There is the icinga installation wizard(It’s deprecated though) which comes with the icinga2 powershell framework.
That’s what I am using to configure the windows agents.

Hope this helps you! :smile:

Hi Mike,

the Icinga Management Console will also allow installation of the Windows Agent. I am not sure how this is supposed to work exactly though. By now I have found that there is a list of client certificates to sign accessible from the master (“icinga2 ca list”). However, I dont’ really get what the current recommended workflow is for adding a client…