Ask Me Anything

It isn’t very important, but you want me to ask every question:
The community is a very good idea, but…
When i open a new theme like icinga2:

I get at first 9!!! pinned topics. I have to scroll down, then i see the customer topics. I think it’s a bad idea to pin so many topics, imo it’s were be better ONE topic “Read First” or whatever, that could be pinned and i could read the very newer topics much more faster… Everytime i open the Theme i get the same 9 pinned topics… you know?
I like IT, because it make some things faster… so i don’t like laborious things like to much text i must see before i see newer interesting things :wink:

Under Your User > Preferences > Interface is the option “Automatically unpin topics when I reach the bottom.”. This is what I use to get rid of the pinned topics after I have read them.

1 Like

Are developers thinking about implementing an active “push” model for the Icinga agent installed on the monitored clients?

By the “push” model, I mean the client will run the checks on the hosts at a defined interval, send an update only if there is a change in the state… similar to Hobbit / Xymon.

Sending updates only when there is a change sounds to me like an ideal
opportunity to remain ignorant of things when there is a network problem.

I would far prefer to get the results of checks, both good and bad, so I have
a chance of noticing “hm, nothing for 15 minutes, what’s up?”

https://icinga.com/docs/icinga-2/latest/doc/06-distributed-monitoring/
#top-down-config-sync also explains how close Icinga2 already comes to this
model: “The satellites run their own local scheduler and will send the check
result messages back to the master.”

Antony.

Hi Feu,
here are my questions:

• What are you going to do against the HA-functionality of the Core on the one side and the absolutely not available HA-functionality of Icingaweb and all the modules (+ background services), which are maintained by netways (jira, x509 and so on) ?
  • Who will maintain the modules in future? It looks like in some projects, only @tgelf is working on them
  • When will IcingaDB leave the RC status and are you going to give us the possibility of migration ?
  • Will all the modules (jira, reporting, vcenter-db, grafana etc) be compatible with the new monitoring module for IcingaDB?
  • Will eventhandler be visible in Icingaweb2 and will they be a part of notifications anytime? Currently, they are not
  • NoMa2: Is this still a thing? Beside of the Youtube video, I haven’t seen anything about it
  • Icinga for windows / Icinga with agent: Are there any ideas to change the current dependency of needing a dedicated endpoint + dedicated zone for a “client”, which runs an agent? Compared to “check_by_wmi”, “check_by_ssh” , “check_by_powershell” or also NSClient++, it is frustrating, what we have to configure to use the agent.
  • Contributor Agreement: Ähm what? I missed this part totally and add all the questions of @mcktr , too!

Cheers,
Marcus

3 Likes

With the AMA week coming to an end last night, we’re excited to be answering and reviewing all your questions this week! This thread is now closed, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t get in contact with us if you have any questions - feel free to do so today and every day :slight_smile:
Message us on our social media channels, via the contact form on our website or here the community forum. We hope you know that we’re here for you! :slight_smile:

The first video is up, where our CPO @bsheqa is answering all questions about Project Icinga!

6 Likes

I almost forgot to post my own update here :slight_smile:
My answeres to the community type questions for you!

4 Likes

One more video is up, this time from Eric!

4 Likes

Good there are subtitles and I can turn the volume up to 64 at my pc soundbar :sweat_smile: (normally is +4 for Web-Radio enough) because the videos are very very quiet. Especially the last one with Eric

Oh, I’ll check that out - thanks!
I’m not really too experienced with actually making vids for youtube :slight_smile:

Edit: you are absolutely correct! It doesn’t seem like I can increase the video after it has already been uploaded and if I reupload it the URL will change…
Any youtube veterans here with a good tip on how to fix that?

1 Like

Will there be another video? 4 of my questions were not answered unfortunately

I think we have 4 more, one coming out today :slight_smile:

And by today, I mean right now:

Tom will talk about the Director and some aspects of Icinga Web 2

2 Likes

Has there been any question about an official exporter for prometheus?

Marcin

The next video is up, today @cstein will answer all your Icinga for Windows questions!
(And hopefully with some better audio!)

1 Like

After a bit of an hiatus: another video of the AMA series where Johannes answers some of your Icinga Web 2 related questions:

1 Like

May I ask another question, that just came up in our internal discussions :)?

Is there any status update on the integration of SSO in Icinga Web 2:

happy new year everybody.

Wouldn’t it be interesting to ask the community, if eventhandler are really least used, as Johannes said? My experiences are quite different

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Do you - and how do you use eventhandlers?