Ansible playbook syntax question.(icinga2_host module)

I am trying to write a playbook that will run on the icinga2 master. This playbook will generate the .crt and .key files for each of my client nodes and sign the certs as well. I had a question on how to use the icinga2_host module for doing this. Right now I have :

• name: Create a cert
    local_action: icinga2_host pki new-cert --cn {{ icinga2_cn }} --key /etc/icinga2/pki/{{ icinga2_cn }}.key
    –cert /etc/icinga2/pki/{{ icinga2_cn }}.crt

• name: Sign Cert
    local_action: icinga2_host pki sign-csr --csr – {{ icinga2_cn }}.csr --cert {{ icinga2_cn }}.crt

But I am receiving an error “missing required arguments name, ip”.
So for would i put the hostname of the node I am targetting and for ip the ip of the node I am targeting?

Hi,

I wrote a entire playbook for this and have it working quite well for generating a cert we just use the shell module though:

- name: "Generate new certificates"
  shell: >
    "icinga2 pki new-cert
    --cn {{ inventory_hostname }}.domain.com
    --key {{ ic_cert_location }}{{ inventory_hostname }}.domain.com.key
    --cert {{ ic_cert_location }}{{ inventory_hostname }}.domain.com.crt"
  args:
    executable: /sbin/icinga2

for signing we do this:

- name: "Check for a certificate we need to sign"
  shell: "icinga2  ca list --all | grep {{ inventory_hostname }}.domain.com | grep -ve '*' | awk '{ print $1 }'"
  when: ic2_type == "agent"
  delegate_to: "{{ ic_parent_short }}"
  register: ssl_token

- name: "Sign the certificate if we have one"
  shell: "icinga2 ca sign {{ ssl_token.stdout }}"
  when: ic2_type == "agent" and ssl_token.stdout != ""
  delegate_to: "{{ ic_parent_short }}"

We have a lot of when statements with this to make sure it only runs one (idempotent) but that is the short version.

Hope that helps you out a bit :slight_smile:

Hello again. Thanks again for helping me on my previous issue and your reply to this one. Your playbook will definitely come in handy. I had a couple of questions if you don’t mind. I was originally using shell as well but changed it to local_action because wont shell commit the action on the target node? I was trying to generate and sign all the tickets on the master node and then transfer the files over to the target node. Also my version of icinga is a little older so ca list and ca sign command is not available.

Hi there,

Yes shell will run on the target node unless you use the delegate_to like in the example above that way you can run the playbook from your laptop or ansible server and delegate (give the task) to a different server in the example above:

Delegate_to: {{ ic_parenthost }}

Is our satelite node that will sign the cert for the agent

This way you can do:

Ansible-playbook playbook.yml -l newagent --tags icingaagent

As example it will then run all the tasks on the new agent including generating the new certs and connect to the satellite before we sign/ accept it. we then connect to the satellite through the delegate option and sign the request from the new agent this way you dont need to copy the certificates over. And this will enable us to sign using the built in icinga tools

I do recommend upgrading icinga tough a lot of bugs have been fixed.

Hi @hza2331,

Please mark this question as solved if this helped you and you have no further questions! :slight_smile:

https://community.icinga.com/guidelines#solution

Thanks!

Hey just marked it solved. So i can delegate to my master node as well and everything should work. I’m assuming you set a variable at the beginning of the playbook for ‘ic_parenthost’? Did you just insert the satellites IP/hostname? Thanks again this is what I was looking for !

Hi,

Depending on how you are using things if you have a role you need to put this on 2 spots in your:

role\defaults\main.yml
and / or in
group_vars / host_vars

That way each host can have its own master or satellite to connect to depending on how your cluster is set-up.
You could also put this in the beginning of the playbook. But things will get complicated quick :slight_smile:
So best is to create a role then you will get this file structure:

drwxr-xr-x  15 w  staff   480B Nov 18 11:01 .git
-rw-r--r--   1 w  staff   3.6K Jul  7 11:36 defaults
drwxr-xr-x   6 w  staff   192B May 18  2020 files
drwxr-xr-x   3 w  staff    96B Apr 28  2020 handlers
drwxr-xr-x   3 w  staff    96B May 11  2020 meta
drwxr-xr-x   8 w  staff   256B Aug 17 18:57 tasks
drwxr-xr-x  37 w  staff   1.2K Nov 16 16:49 templates

If you then do a deeper look into tasks:

-rw-r--r--   1 w  staff   454B Aug 13 12:14 certs.yml
-rw-r--r--   1 w  staff   2.7K Nov 16 16:47 config.yml
-rw-r--r--   1 w  staff   1.4K May 14  2020 ec2.yml
-rw-r--r--   1 w  staff   6.7K Aug 13 10:56 install.yml
-rw-r--r--   1 w  staff   341B Jul  9 11:46 main.yml
-rw-r--r--   1 w  staff   4.6K Jul 17 13:53 win_install.yml

main.yml

---
- name: "Install Icinga2"
  include: ./install.yml
  when: "'linux' in group_names"

defaults/main.yml:

---
i2_user: icinga
i2_group: icinga
i2_lib_dir: /usr/lib64
i2_manage_repository: true

So its get large :slight_smile: There is also a ansible playbook available made by the icinga team on their github be sure to look it up!

Also side note:

If you want to learn more about ansible please feel free to keep in touch.
This is after all a icinga forum :wink: not a ansible forum :smiley:

Ok i understand. Thanks again for all your help. I’ll be sure to check out icingas playbooks on github as well. You’re right , if i have any ansible related questions I’ll be sure to contact you just not in this forum :smile: