Agent Based Monitoring with Director

Hi,

I have a Setup with 2 Masters (HA) and 2 Satellites.

Im now looking for a strategy to add every host of our vsphere as agent.

My goal is that every agent runs his own checks and send the check result to the configured satellite.

Is it even possible or is the director just made for executing checks on the agents?

Greets

Ghost

This is a job usually for devop tools e.g. Ansible, Chef, Puppet, Saltstack etc.

This is not possible while using the director.

The director does not executed checks at all. It’s main purpose is to define/manage objects which then are deployed to icinga. icinga itself is then scheduling the checkes etc.

Hi Roland,
thanks for the quick answer.

This is not possible while using the director.

This is a little bit confusing, because an Agent (for me) is a Icinga Node that is able to execute its own checks. What is the Agent tab in the director for then? or the “run on agent” tab …

so basically i can configure a host as agent in director, but i still execute commands from my satellite on the agent?

Thanks
Ghost

The be more precise, the agent is executing checks but they are scheduled by its parent. That being said, the agent itself does nothing except waiting for “jobs”.

The agent tab in the director is for auto deployment capabilities e.g auto signing etc.

Run On Agent means a check shall be executed at an agent instead of a endpoint of which zone a host belongs to. In other words, a check is executed at a master or satellite, but with that option it is executed at an agent.

the agent is executing checks but they are scheduled by its parent. That being said, the agent itself does nothing except waiting for “jobs”.

So an Icinga Agent overall is not executing its own checks?? ok i had a wrong understanding then…

i thought if i add an agent to the zones.conf of a satellite the kickstart will import the agent …

Its still a little bit confusing for me … does this mean an agent in director is different from an agent without director?

Greets
Ghost

While using the director there is no need to add agents to zones.conf manually.

This are two different topics. Agents are icinga instances configured as agents. With that you can choose Run On Agent to execute checks on those machines locally e.g. disk or load. The agent tab in the director is for deployment of agents.

Thank you Roland, i have a better understanding now!

Greets