SSO authentication with Icinga Director

Hey!

I would like to implement a SSO authentication system in front of my future Icinga2 infrastructure.

After reading the documentation, it will be fine for the Icinga2 API. As the API is under /v1, I’ll whitelist this path in my SSO configuration so I can continue to use the ApiUser objects :slight_smile:

But for Icinga Director, the documentation says: “Most URLs you can access with your browser will also act as valid REST url endpoints.”. And the authentication is based on user account of Icinga Web 2.

So I cannot whitelist the URLs of Director in my SSO configuration, because it will break the SSO for real user.

Is there any possibility to configure the Director API with a prefix?

Do not hesitate to request more details if my post is not obvious :slight_smile:

Thanks for reading.

https://twitter.com/icinga/status/1247099912250175488?s=20

Hi @kevin

As I was just building up a new environment I decided to have my master in my Azure environment. Thus I didn’t want to rely on LDAP and I digged around a little.
I found the following solution which really works sooo fine for me:

• mod_auth_openidc for the Apache servicing icingaweb2
  • configuring icingaweb2 to use external authentication backend

Only downside: authentication groups…this is something that could not really be solved so far, but maybe this is something to be realized with director automation.

Best,
Matthias

Hey @blindzero :slight_smile:
Sounds good! But are you still able to use the Icinga Director API after applying this configuration?

Again, thanks!

Not yet, couldnt get location exclusion running :frowning:

I finally have a workaround for this. So, I broke down the webserver into 2 components. One will be used for director api access. Primary for icingaweb2. Not super elegant but it works and is super easy to setup.

Hi , would you please let me know if there is a step by step procedure to do this ? I need to enable sso for users who want to login to icinga2web.

Best Regards
Mojgan

Damned, my bad…it seems that I really missed to have this part documented properly :frowning:

Hi @Mojgan
I just remembered that I created a Medium post about this module in general, although not being specific about icingaweb2: Apache OpenID authentication with Azure | by Matthias Fleschütz | Medium

Hi Matthias
No worry , thanks for your reply , much appriciated