Graphite installation for Ubuntu

All,

Thank you for your help, guidance, and feedback regarding this topic.

I believe I have everything working as expected (or probably 95% anyway).

I know a couple of you mentioned that you will be writing tutorials for this. I too plan on adding what I did to the How-To forum this weekend so others can hopefully benefit from it.

This is a nice community.

3 Likes

A bit late to the game (and I haven’t really read the thread :blush:) , but I’ll just post what works for me when installing Graphite on a Ubuntu 18.04 machine.

GRAPHITE INSTALLATION UBUNTU 18.04 LTS (for python2)
##################### https://github.com/graphite-project/graphite-web/issues/1425#issuecomment-194905689

apt install graphite-web graphite-carbon libapache2-mod-wsgi
vi /etc/graphite/local_settings.py
	CHANGE SECRET_KEY, TIME_ZONE

vi /etc/default/graphite-carbon
	CARBON_CACHE_ENABLED=true

graphite-manage migrate
PYTHONPATH=/opt/graphite/webapp django-admin migrate --settings=graphite.settings --run-syncdb
sudo chown _graphite. /var/lib/graphite/graphite.db

echo Listen 8000 >> /etc/apache2/ports.conf
cp /usr/share/graphite-web/apache2-graphite.conf /etc/apache2/sites-available/graphite.conf
sed -i.org -e "/VirtualHost/s/:80/:8000/" /etc/apache2/sites-available/graphite.conf
a2ensite graphite
systemctl restart apache2

vi /etc/carbon/storage-schemas.conf
	[icinga2_metadata]
	pattern = ^icinga2\..*\.metadata\.
	retentions = 5m:10d,30m:90d,360m:4y

[icinga2_perfdata]
	pattern = ^icinga2\..*\.perfdata\.
	retentions = 5m:10d,30m:90d,360m:4y

chown _graphite._graphite /var/log/graphite/ -R
systemctl stop apache2.service
systemctl start apache2.service
icinga2 feature enable graphite
vi /etc/icinga2/features-enabled/graphite.conf
	enable_send_thresholds = true

systemctl restart icinga2.service
cd /usr/share/icingaweb2/modules/
git clone https://github.com/Icinga/icingaweb2-module-graphite.git graphite

### In case you use the ICMP command for host check, add this template and an "obscured graphite check command variable"
vi /etc/icingaweb2/modules/graphite/templates/icmp-host.ini
	[icmp-rt.graph]
	check_command = "icmp-host"

[icmp-rt.metrics_filters]
	rtmin.value = "$host_name_template$.perfdata.rtmin.value"
	rta.value = "$host_name_template$.perfdata.rta.value"
	rtmax.value = "$host_name_template$.perfdata.rtmax.value"

[icmp-rt.urlparams]
	areaAlpha = "0.5"
	areaMode = "all"
	lineWidth = "2"
	min = "0"
	yUnitSystem = "none"

[icmp-rt.functions]
	rtmin.value = "alias(color(scale($metric$, 1000), '#44bb77'), 'Min. round trip time (ms)')"
	rta.value = "alias(color(scale($metric$, 1000), '#ffaa44'), 'Avg. round trip time (ms)')"
	rtmax.value = "alias(color(scale($metric$, 1000), '#ff5566'), 'Max. round trip time (ms)')"

[icmp-pl.graph]
	check_command = "icmp-host"

[icmp-pl.metrics_filters]
	pl.value = "$host_name_template$.perfdata.pl.value"

[icmp-pl.urlparams]
	areaAlpha = "0.5"
	areaMode = "all"
	lineWidth = "2"
	min = "0"
	yUnitSystem = "none"

[icmp-pl.functions]
	pl.value = "alias(color($metric$, '#1a7dd7'), 'Packet loss (%)')"

######
Change CHARACTERSET FOR IDO-RESSOURCE to "latin1" !
######
2 Likes

Thanks for sharing! I ended up using pip nginx and gunicorn.

1 Like

Hello Colin,
I am having the same issue with configuring Graphite on Apache. The error I am recieving in the logs is

"mod_wsgi (pid=xxxxx): Target WSGI script '/opt/graphite/conf/graphite.wsgi" cannot be loaded as Python module."

I got past this error by adding the lines below into my graphite.conf file. More details can be found here https://github.com/GrahamDumpleton/mod_wsgi.

LoadModule wsgi_module "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/mod_wsgi/server/mod_wsgi-py27.so"
WSGIPythonHome "/usr"

You will need to modify your graphite.conf file per your system configuration of mod_wsgi by running command

mod_wsgi-express module-config

I know this is a late to the game because it looks like you already found a work around but I wanted to pass along what I found. I have receive much help from others here I wanted to return what I have found.

I appreciate you sharing because I had that same problem with Apache and it was frustrating. Hope this helps someone else struggling with it!

A post was split to a new topic: Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Graphite Guide

Well done. Thanks for making this. I never heard of go-carbon until now.

2 Likes

I already have on my to do list the actual centos version, and then as mention before the whole new releases of the operating systems.

I will post them here as well :stuck_out_tongue:

until then have a nice weekend.

Regards

David

Man you beat me to it. I just loaded up Ubuntu 18 and RHEL8 environments wanting to do a pipenv one tomorrow D:

Actually that’s a completely different method so still gonna. Maybe drag ass longer though since I’m no longer competing.

1 Like

If you have a different working method please share it with us, your welcome to take your time as long as you need … the goal here is to present a working solution :smiley:

Best

David

I’m like 2/3 of the way through the doc but whiskey break happened and you know…

1 Like

Hi David,

thanks a lot for sharing - I have moved this into the howto section :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Michael

1 Like

These gaps happen mostly because of a retention missmatch in graphite storage-schema. Graphite expect a metric point in a period of time which is defined as a retention in storage-schema. If your metric points not match this defined retention, graphite will set per default null as value for that “too late/early point”.

Small Example:
If you tell Graphite to expect every minute an Icinga 2 metric point your schema will look similar to this:

pattern = ^icinga2.*
retention = 1m:7d,5m:30d,15m:90d,1h:1y

But if your check is scheduled every five minute the result is that you have every “five minute slot”, four “null” values and one “perfdata” value. These null values are for example your gaps. So you have to change the retention policy to this:

pattern = ^icinga2.*
retention = 5m:30d,15m:90d,1h:1y

Now Graphite expects every five minute a point and Icinga will deliver every five minute a point so both are happy.

\(^.^)/

Conclusion: You should define retentions matching the specified check_interval to avoid this situation.

3 Likes

Very helpful. Thank you. This makes sense. I will review my settings.

I’m trying to understand. So my check intervals for a service are 300 seconds (5m).

I used the example from the Icinga2 doc.

[icinga2_default]
pattern = ^icinga2.
retentions = 1m:2d,5m:10d,30m:90d,360m:4y

If I change 1m to 5m, does that solve the gap issue because it would be getting a metric every 5 minutes instead of 1 minute?

How does the retention break down?

Does the above mean get a metric every 1 minute and keep it for 2 days, get a metric every 5 minutes and keep it for 10 days, get a metric every 30 minutes and keep that for 90 days get a metric every 360 months and keep it for 4 years?

Most of my service checks are 300 second intervals. I’m trying to understand and determine the best default setting to use in order to review short term data and long term data for trending analysis etc…

Don’t go tweaking metric retention for this; it’s totally unnecessary. The default graph view in Icinga’s graphite module does space based on null, which is more visible depending on what timeframe you have it showing you. It’s helpful when you need it to be, and graphite averages things over time anyway. I’m not at a computer atm, but I know there are other settings for how it handles null values. Your output is also a moving target; retry intervals are default 30s. I use similar retentions as you.

For aesthetics, look at some of the inis in the templates folder for the graphite module in icingaweb.

1 Like

What do you have your retention set to?

I switched mine to the example mentioned a few posts back of:

retention = 5m:30d,15m:90d,1h:1y

But I’m wondering what others are doing. Seeing as we seem to have similar check intervals etc…I’m curious what you use.

I’ve got a 1m, but that’s because I do have a lot of checks that run every 1-2 minutes, as well as the retries in critcal scenarios to see if it recovers quickly or not.

[icinga-hosts]
pattern = ^icinga2\..*\.host\.
retentions = 5m:12w

[icinga-services]
pattern = ^icinga2\..*\.services\.
retentions = 1m:4w, 5m:26w, 15m:1y, 30m:2y

Does having the 1m negatively impact the checks that are set to 5 minutes?

Actually, let’s talk about storage-aggregation.conf for a second.

xFilesFactor is a confusing setting, from the docs:

xFilesFactor should be a floating point number between 0 and 1, and specifies what fraction of the previous retention level’s slots must have non-null values in order to aggregate to a non-null value. The default is 0.5."

I just tell that thing I don’t care how empty it looks, just average my stuff.

[default_average]
pattern = .*
xFilesFactor = 0
aggregationMethod = average
1 Like