Generally Understanding Icinga Cluster Structure

Afaik you can see the client just like a satellite, with the sole difference that it only checks itself.

A satellite, or better the term “satellite”, refers to an Icinga 2 instance that executes checks on itself and remote hosts as well. For example SNMP checks to remote machines/switches or triggering NRPE checks.

The command endpoint can only be set in a host or service template, at least in the Icinga Director.

I’m not sure if the Director sets the command endpoint to the client itself if it is an Agent. But the behavior is correct for the apt check, as it has to be run locally on the machine, or else you would have x checks reporting the updates of you satellite.

That’s the “agent” option, Director automatically sets the command_endpoint configuration then.

Since the agent checks are triggered from the satellite zone, the corresponding agent host also needs to be put into the satellite cluster zone.

Cheers,
Michael

PS: I strongly advise against NRPE having multiple security flaws. SSH should be an option, the configuration is not really a breeze compared to what’s possible with Director and agents.

2 Likes

Well, since I am just using the DSL (not the director) and checking all my linux hosts via SSH I must say, it works like a charm (+1100 Hosts, + 9200 Services). And since Windows Server 2019, you can also use SSH to get a Powershell Session and trigger PS scripts. So you will got a totally agentless monitoring solution via ssh, wmi and snmp. For me, the director is much more complicated than the DSL.

1 Like

Okay,

now i’am littebit confused on your PS:

Agent isn’t NRPE, correct?

Than what i tried. The Director set command_enpoint to host_name when i use Agent = yes.
For my understanding, Set the Host to the satellite Zone. Than the checks are triggered from satellite and not from master, but the main checks are executed on Client and that’s why check_source = client

correct?

Sorry for many Questions, i’am into a Tunnel, and i tried a lot

Yep.

Right. NRPE is a small daemon which runs on the agent, and can be queried with check_nrpe. This originates from Nagios and is their preferred way. NRPE is known for weak TLS, and possible MITM attacks. Also, it doesn’t integrate that transparent as you’ll have with the Icinga 2 Agent sharing the same binary and configuration language as a satellite/master instance.

Coming back to the question - does that then work on a deployment?

In terms of the zones.conf files, I’d suggest changes.

• Avoid using ZoneName and NodeName constants. These have been removed from the CLI wizards in 2.10, and use real FQDN strings instead.
  • On the master and satellites, only configure their endpoints and zones.

Master:

object Endpoint "icinga-master" {
  //host is not needed
}

object Zone "master" {
  endpoints = [ "icinga-master" ]
}

object Endpoint "icinga-sat-1" {
  host = "icinga-sat-1"
}

object Zone "satellite-zone-1" {
  endpoints = [ "icinga-sat-1" ]
  parent = "master"
}

object Zone "global-templates" {
        global = true
}

object Zone "director-global" {
        global = true
}

Satellite:

object Endpoint "icinga-master" {
        host = "XXX"
        port = "5665"
}

global = true
}

host = "icinga-sat-1"
}

parent = "master"
}

object Zone "master" {
        endpoints = [ "icinga-master" ]
}

global = true
}
  • On the agent, configure the local endpoint and the parent endpoint and zones.
object Endpoint "agent-FQDN" {}
  //set the host attribute, if the agent should actively connect to the satellite
}

}
object Zone "agent-FQDN" {
  endpoints = [ "agent-FQDN" ]
  parent = "satellite-zone-1"
}

global = true
}

global = true
}

Cheers,
Michael

Thanks @dnsmichi for clarify.
I’ll update my config.

in this case i have also Question about second Master config.
Should i create separate Topic?

Sounds interesting, you have an example for DSL and usage with ssh?

https://icinga.com/docs/icinga2/latest/doc/10-icinga-template-library/#by_ssh

SSH can be rather complex, also in combination with the Director. Coming back to the original question, what exactly is not working with the agent in the Director?

Cheers,
Michael

the main question was answered

Icinga is working.
Another question was

Ah. Just shoot in here, same topic I’d say.

Okay

I want to install a second Master as failover. Is there any HowTo?

My first Questions:

• need’s second DB, or must/can use DB from first master
  • need’s separate Certificates on second Master or use CA from first master

The docs give a pretty good walkthrough:
https://icinga.com/docs/icinga2/latest/doc/06-distributed-monitoring/#high-availability-master-with-clients

Basically it is:

• Install the second server and use the node wizard to add the second master as a satellite to the first master
  • then edit the zones.conf on both masters to have both of them in the master zone
    – add the second master endpoint in zones.conf of the first master and put them in the master zone
    – add the first master endpoint in the zones.conf of the second master, add the master zone and remove the satellite zone of the second master
  • add the second master to the master zone on the satellites
  • The second master needs the same features activated as the first master.

A second DB is not really needed (unless you want some form of HA there to, with all its complications like master/slave, pacemaker, cluster ip and so on).
The masters automatically decide which one is writing to the database. You just have to configure the ido-mysql.conf on the second master like on the first master. They also automatically distribute the checks based on an algorithm.

As the second master connects to the first master (node wizard setup as satellite) the CA from the first master is used.

That’s all I can think of now. Hope I haven’t told something stupid/wrong here :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks, you were faster. I am fixing the online docs atm (formatting et al), so it may be a little unresponsive.

Thanks for explanation, I’ll try it.

So, i tested some cluster configs.
Now i created this config

Later i’ll create also Replications for satellite Hosts
All works fine.

Only i miss a flag on icinga2 node setup statement to set custom local Endpoint name
or i overlook this :thinking:

--zone arg                The name of the local zone
  --endpoint arg            Connect to remote endpoint; syntax: cn[,host,port]
  --parent_host arg         The name of the parent host for auto-signing the csr; syntax: host[,port]
  --parent_zone arg         The name of the parent zone
  --listen arg              Listen on host,port
  --ticket arg              Generated ticket number for this request (optional)
  --trustedcert arg         Trusted master certificate file
  --cn arg                  The certificates common name
  --accept-config           Accept config from master
  --accept-commands         Accept commands from master
  --master                  Use setup for a master instance
  --global_zones arg        The names of the additional global zones to 'global-templates' and 'director-global'.
  --disable-confd           Disables the conf.d directory during the setup

That’s left out with the intention to follow the conventions with using the FQDN everywhere.

Cheers,
Michael

Ahh Okay, thanks for the Info.

Is there also a way to add more than one parent master/satellite Endpoints on icinga2 node setup
same like on icinga2 node wizard Add more master/satellite endpoints? [y/N]:

Repeat the --endpoint argument then.