grafana 1.4.2 Configure
monitoring 2.10.0 Configure
Firefox 98.0
PHP 8.1+92
Debian Bullseye

Old theme as a ‘classic’?

Hi!

I just noticed the new light and dark themes. As it is a pain
to the eyes with dark theme when you get older, I tried the light theme.
However, the contrast is too small. And the high contrast theme
just looks ugly.

I really liked the old theme, it was a good compromise between
dark and light.

Is it possible to have a ‘classic’ theme with the old look?

5 Likes

I also would like to know how to get the old light system theme back, the new one is horrible.

I don’t like the new themes at all and would like to get back “old” themes as well! Thanks!

Downgrading to 2.9.6 seems to fail. But can easily be fixed.

I also prefer the old ones. In the new themes the contrast is very low and the texts are often hard to read.

2 Likes

I know, complaining without being involved in the process is always the easiest way.

But I also dislike the new light and dark themes - and I’d like to get rid of them again as I just don’t want to look at either of them day in day out.

If it would be only about the visual changes that I’d might like or dislike, fine. But I think that also functionality is broken now like selecting multiple entries from a list of hosts/services. Or that I now have to click the hostname/servicename explicitely, having a much smaller click area instead of having the whole box clickable as it was before.

I’m sorry to complain about, but this “feature” does not work for me, as it breaks too much of the existing stuff :-/ Please come up with a good solution, maybe a global feature toggle or the like so one can chose whether one wants to use the new theming options or not.

1 Like

→ that’ a bug → it’s fixed you can check out the master or wait for the next release

Thanks - good to know! When I look at https://github.com/Icinga/icingaweb2/milestones it seems that a v2.10.1 release is “just around the corner” - do you have any further insights in when to expect this release? (Background: We’re just installing the packages from the package repositories and “depend” on an official release for now. Yes, we could manually do changes, but I try to avoid that as much as possible.)

We had our Icingaweb2 customized with a theme that replaced the login page background image + put our logo on top left of the dashboard. It was based on icingaweb2-theme-company but is now not working properly as it is not ready for dark/light theming. I’ve opened an issue in that repo. If one could provide a new version of that base theme with capabilities for dark/light themes, we (and probably others) could base on top of that again and add company logo etc. https://github.com/Icinga/icingaweb2-theme-company/issues/9

I would suggest you read: IcingaWeb 2.10 can't render my stylesheet with media query, or is only in dark mode

after that you should be able to fix your company theme. or open an new topic with your work, maybe someone is going to help?

you should also fork icingaweb2-theme-company and create a pull request with your changes.
don’t be afraid of less, it’s simply, and it’s never to late for a webdeveloper to learn something new :slight_smile:

do you have any further insights in when to expect this release?

I can’t give you an official date, but the first small bugfix patch is usually due one to three weeks after the release - so the answer is very likely very soon :slight_smile:

If you save public/css/icinga/legacy-theme.less from Icinga Web 2.9, put it in public/css/themes on Icinga Web 2.10, and then change this:

#header-logo-container {
    .var(background, icinga-blue);
  }

to this:

#header-logo-container {
    background-color: @icinga-blue;
  }

and switch theme to “legacy-theme” in “My Account”, you will have the legacy theme back.

Might be a good idea to add this as well (to get the logo in “System → About” visible):

#about .icinga-logo {
  filter: brightness(0.415) sepia(1) ~"saturate(0.1)" hue-rotate(144deg);
}
2 Likes

Pulling this up just in case someone is still preferring to use the old theme (like a customer of mine):

I have added the following lines as well to make the lower-left menu text and config pop-up menu text readable

#layout .config-menu {
  color: @gray-lightest;
}

#layout .flyout-content{
  color: @black;
  > .nav {
      &:not(.active) {
        a:hover, a:focus {
          &:first-of-type,
          &:first-of-type ~ a {
            background-color: @tr-active-color;
            color: @black