Update Icinga Master

Good Morning,

From time to time we have got some problems monitoring our servers. Let me explain. From time to time, I have UNKNOWN status in the Icinga console. I have to restart the agents on the servers so that the status returns to normal. Can you tell me if it’s because of our version: The Icinga Master version is 2.9.X and the clients on the Servers are 2.10.X. Can it come from there?
Thanks for your help.

Hi @kjeldorien,

it’s always recommended to have your Master on the same or, if that’s not possible, a slightly higher version then your Satellites and Agents. A setup like yours, where the Master is behind Satellites/Agents, can generally lead to many problems.

Have a look at the docs for more information on that topic.

Greetings
Noah

Hi @nhilverling
Thanks for your quick answer . If I understand well I need to upgrade my Master on 2.11. Can you tell me if I must upgrade Step by Step 2.9 then 2.10 then 2.11 or I can Upgrade directly from 2.9 to 2.11 ??

Hi @kjeldorien,

you could also upgrade your Master to 2.10.x, which would be the same version as your Satellites/Agents. But if you’re already on it, we always recommend the latest stable version. (2.11.3 in this case)

Upgrading is quite simple. You can look at the upgrading docs to see if any version changed something that’s important for you. In most cases just upgrade your packages and have a look at the MySQL or PostgreSQL upgrading docs.

Greetings
Noah

1 Like