Pending Host - Services - Wrong Source

Hello Dear Community

I’ve been learning Icinga2 - Web2 and the Director for a while now and I’m pretty excited about it. Unfortunately, there are still some points where I do not really get on. I have created a zone for a locality/windowscape which I push with the Director. The Windows system has also entered it in IcingaWeb2 and the ping was successful. But the host is on pending as well as the services. It is most likely an error on my side but I don’t know how exactly to solve it.

so i have a zone with NodeName

object Zone "monitoring.xyz.com" {
    endpoints = [ "monitoring.xyz.com" ]
}

and a zone

object Zone "satellite-locality" {
    parent = "monitoring.xyz.com"
    endpoints = [ "servername.tld" ]
}

The agent is conifugated to take this zone named “satellite-locality”.
There is one more zone which I can’t remember having created.

object Zone "servername" {
}

Now in the Windows host in IcingaWeb2 as CheckSource this “server name” is specified. I don’t know if this is the cause. But I also do not know how to solve this.

Thank you very much!

• Director version Master
  • Icinga Web 2 - 2.8.2
  • Icinga 2 version - r2.12.5-1
  • Operating System 20.04 LTS
  • Webserver, PHP versions: 7.3.29

Zone and Endpoint objects can be defined in zones.conf only (and then being imported with kickstart wizard). For agents e.g. your Windows machine you never need to define zone and endpoint objects as this is done by the director.

Thank you very much for your reply! I appreciate it very much. I am trying to understand all this and am also reading the documentation. For the understanding I want to briefly explain the environment.

The systems are all accessible to each other. So the point is to monitor these systems. Since there are many Windows systems and also some Linux systems, I first created a Windows agent.

The zones.conf looks like that

object Endpoint NodeName {
}

object Zone ZoneName {
        endpoints = [ NodeName ]
}

object Zone "global-templates" {
  global = true
}

object Zone "director-global" {
  global = true
}

object Endpoint "icinga-server.com" {
  host = "icinga-server.com"
}

object Zone "satellite-city" {
    parent = NodeName
    endpoints = [ "icinga-server.com" ]
}

satellite

monitoring

I probably made a mistake but still don’t fully understand the concept. Thank you for your time and knowledge! I really appreciate it.