Installed on Raspberry Pi 4

I am sorry that I do not know anything about icinga2. The package came standard with the installation on a Raspberry Pi 4 (CanaKit) and until I do understand the icinga2 software I have (not so nicely) disabled icinga2 from running to prevent so many emails about the “state” file and for so many entries in the syslog file. This may be totally wrong but it seems the OS software distribution should allow for these packages to be included or not.

The message in syslog:
information/ConfigObject: Dumping program state to file ‘/var/lib/icinga2/icinga2.state’

This repeats every 5 minutes. Since I am not using icinga2 (currently) I wanted first to stop the messages in syslog so that I could focus on numerous other errors/warnings in syslog.

Linux 4.19.97-v7l+ #1294 SMP Thu Jan 30 13:21:14 GMT 2020 armv7l GNU/Linux
Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.1

Your recommendations are welcome.

Thank you

Why not start from a distribution such as Raspbian which doesn’t contain, and
automatically start, applications you’re unfamiliar with, and then if you want
to use something like Icinga, install it and configure it yourself so that you
understand what it’s doing?

What is your objective with this machine?

Antony.

Hi,

I’m wondering who you are questioning here. If a vendor or distribution decides to provide and pre-install packages, they should have documentation about their intentions.

A quick search for Raspbian Buster led me to this listing where I don’t see the icinga2 package. Likely you are using a customized distribution image, which we don’t know about yet.

As with any package or service, you can freely purge away this from your setup, if you don’t need it. I for example always remove nano and install vim instead of on Debian based systems.

That being said, I’d contact the distribution’s issue tracker or community forums and ask about your concerns.

Cheers,
Michael

I believe the OP is referring to
https://www.canakit.com/raspberry-pi/pi-4-kits

I agree - try https://www.canakit.com/Contact

Antony.

1 Like

I thought this was a Raspbian install. I will try what you suggest to be sure. This device is my slave DNS server.

Guess my question was to anyone that would respond. I have not yet posed any questions to other groups because I thought it prudent to start here first.

Guess I was surprised to see so much background automation installed and operational without any explanation when I selected the OS to install from NOOBS. I could have removed the package but elected not to do so until I asked a few basic questions. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. Once I have time to learn more about icinga2 I will reactivate it. For the time being I added a line in rc.local to do a “stop” of icinga2.

Thank you for the advice.