HA Icinga2 agent replay log

When first setting up my HA icinga2, I failed to notice
https://icinga.com/docs/icinga-2/latest/doc/06-distributed-monitoring/#disable-log-duration-for-command-endpoints

log_duration = 0 // Disable the replay log for command endpoint agents

The two HA icinga2 master nodes clearly need the replay log, but do any of the agents?

How important is disabling the replay log on the agents, and what impact does disabling vs not disabling have?
Does not disabling have any advantages?

Give as much information as you can, e.g.

• Version used: version: r2.13.1-1

• Operating System and version: 20.04.3 LTS (Focal Fossa)

• Enabled features (icinga2 feature list): api checker ido-mysql influxdb mainlog notification

• Icinga Web 2 version and modules (System - About) 2.9.3
    |setup|2.9.3|
    |grafana|1.4.2|
    |monitoring|2.9.3|

• Config validation (icinga2 daemon -C) : no errors ```[2021-09-20 10:24:57 -0400] information/cli: Finished validating the configuration file(s).

* If you run multiple Icinga 2 instances, the `zones.conf` file (or `icinga2 object list --type Endpoint` and `icinga2 object list --type Zone`) from all affected nodes
agent zone.conf

object Endpoint “icinga01.agilitypr.internal” {
host = “xx.xxx.xx.xx”
}

object Endpoint “icinga02.agilitypr.internal” {
host = “xx.xx.xx.xx”
}

object Zone “master” {
endpoints = [ “icinga01.agilitypr.internal”,“icinga02.agilitypr.internal” ]
}

object Zone “global-templates” {
global = true
}

/* Individual hosts */

object Endpoint “agent.agilitypr.internal” {
}
object Zone “agent.agilitypr.internal” {
endpoints = [ “agent.agilitypr.internal” ]
parent = “master”

The agents do not need the replay log normally as they only get the message to execute the checks as a command endpoint which does not make sense to store on the master and they do not store any information because of this.

So I would recommend setting the option as it will remove the need of writing the replay log if any of the agents is unavailable which is likely always the case in a bigger environment.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the reply. You answered my question, I will be disabling the replay log on my agents.